Corsair Community

Failing to Recognize R60 at boot

HanSolo71

I have recently started a problem where i will leave my computer on, and when i come back it has restarted, and it no longer will detect my R60 it just hangs when it trys to find it in POST. The only way to remedy this is to unplug it from power then restart again, at which point it fixes itself but will restart 20 min later. Any ideas? This is my main rig so i would like to not have to take it down for a week, especially since I just got this drive

I have had the same problem. My system went to sleep when I left for work today. Came home smashed the space bar.... nothing but a reboot then my BIOS tried to boot from my NIC. Not good. Investigated more and my BIOS was not recognizing my SSD (R60). So I moved my SSD to another SATA port (3). Booted... same problem. Finally for some reason after a few reboots it was fixed but I got this message from Windows 7. "WINDOWS SYSTEM LOADER Your system firmware did not preserve the system memory way across the hibernate transition. If you proceed with the resume your system could behave in an unexpected manner after resume completes. It is recommended that you save all data before reboot after resume finishes. Kindly check for a firmware update with your system vendor this may fix the problem." Had no problems of the sort until I installed the R60 last night. I know this is a good piece of hardware, just want to get it working correctly. Any insight?

Mine did it again, with a error occuring in volmgrx.sys, any ideas on what is it? To quickly fix the problem requires me to unplug and plug back in the R60, if this is a fail product, i may have a problem because i have no built 4 machines for customers with these drives in them.

Rash what driver version are you using? Are you using the intel RST drivers?

• Corsair Employee
WINDOWS SYSTEM LOADER Your system firmware did not preserve the system memory way across the hibernate transition.

Mine did it again, with a error occuring in volmgrx.sys,

Hmm, im using RST drivers, but no hibernation for me, it usually happens when im away from the computer

These all might suggest the controller driver and or MB BIOS needs to be updated. And I would turn off the sleep function in power management till you get that solved.

I come home and boot my system, I play around for about an hour, then I shut it down. If I try to reboot it again, the BIOS will fail to detect the drive, and the system will not boot. If I let the system sit for a couple of hours; then power it on, It boots just fine. I have tried moving the drive to other SATA ports, and power connectors with no effect. I have swapped SATA cables as well. Still no effect. My motherboard, cpu, memory, PSU, and case are new. I'm running the latest non-Beta BIOS for my board. (ver F4)

My magnetic drive is detected everytime, even when the R60 drops out, but it is storage only.

It looks to me like the controller gets hung during the shutdown process, and will not unlock till the power or charge in the unit disipates

My system drops out in standby as well. Forgot to add to previous post

I stated in my earlier post that I power the machine ON. I am not using stand-by. If I power the machine ON, Run it for an hour or so, then shut it down. 8 out of 10 times the SSD fails to be detected by the BIOS on POST. The pc will not detect the drive, til the unit has been off for a few hours. I also have a standard SATA hard disk in the system, and the BIOS never fails to detect it.

I bought this drive to replace my RAID drives. While they were slower, in three months of use, I never had any issue booting, or resuming from standby.

Who wants a drive that will not allow them to use standby, or that drops-out on a reboot.

Come-on RAM GUY!! Help me out!

• Corsair Employee

As I said that was to test if that was causing the problem, not a long term solution.

Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

I have not had the drive over a week. I have an RMA opened with NEW EGG for a replacement. I'm very happy with the speed of the drive. It rans GREAT!! that is when it boots.

I will post the S/N and or LOT to help you track down the issue. I hope the replacement does not have these issues,

if it does; I wil be forced to leave some very bad feed back on New Egg reguarding this product.

Please notify me of any updates to this model; if one should be released.

• Corsair Employee
There are no updates and yes please post the lot codes and SN#'s and I would suggest doing the RMA with us unless there is some other concern. But if you do go back to New egg please do post the lot codes.

I already have a shipping label for New Egg. I know it would help you troubleshoot the issue, if you had the exact drive. What is your RMA turn around time. My machine will be down, till a replacement arrives. I do not want to nuke my Magnetic drive to use as a boot disk.

Thanks

Good news! I did not have to RMA the drive. I plugged it into SATA port# 0 (out of 0-4), and moved my standard Hard Disk to port #2. Out of 12 boots since; it was not recognized only once. I powered the system down, then back up, and it appeared. That was when the system was off overnight. It has not yet failed on a reboot, or coming out of stand-by.

I also switched SATA controller drivers from the AMD chipset driver, to the standard AHCI Microsoft driver to take advantage of TRIM.

I believe it was the driver not properly shutting down the drive on a restart or standby. Maybe, it clears the buffer or something. I did not write the code.

All I know is that I have moved the cables, and replaced them before hand; with no effect on the problem.

I would make sure I had my SSD in SATA0, and the Microsoft AHCI driver. (As mentioned in this forum.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the update and if someone is having that issue please check the cables as well, we have seen many of the cables that come from or bundled with MB's are cheap at best and may not work well with SSD. But be sure to post your configuration so we can check into the problem.

So My R60 will not be recognized after a long shutdown (coldboot). A restart poses no issue for me. If I shut the computer down at night and turn it on in the morning the drive is no longer recognized by my bios. I have to shut down, pop the lid, disconnect the power to the drive, reconnect the power to the drive and reboot. Then all is well.

This is a Major flaw with the R60's I am on the three most popular computer enthusiast forums and anyone I have seen with a R60 has this issue (not saying it is everyone everyware) It is however a very wide-spanning issue.

Can you tell me in short what we think the issue with these drives are?

What does Corsair have in the pipeline for a fix to this: Short term? Long term?

Any REAL information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

Justchill,

As I have stated previously in this thread there is no problem that we are aware off and yes some of reported this issue but we have not duplicated the issue in the lab. We are as stated previously looking into the reports and will post a solution if there is one for the drives. And as stated please start your own thread and post the drive part number and lot code you have and what you have done to test for that issue.

Archived