Corsair Community

Cms4gx3m1a1333c9

harry554

Hi,

I recently bought 4 of the the following part no: CMS4GX3M1A1333C9 (4gb DDR3 1333 modules, ECC, Registered). It doesn't seem to exist on the corsair website.

I am trying to get it working on an intel s3420GPLC which is based off the 3420 chipset (server / nehalem xeon / ECC type thing) and it won't post.

According to the diagnostic leds on this mobo, it can't find any suitable memory. Specifically, the led decoder on the user manual says "NO usable memory error: no memory in the system, or SPD data bad so no memory could be detected."

This memory does meet the specs for this mobo (ECC, Registered, 1333 mhz), so I don't understand why it wouldn't like it. I've got 4 sticks as mentioned and have swapped a few around and tried filling only one slot, 2 slots, 4, to no avail. So it's not a bad stick as far as i can tell.

Given there's no online docco/mention of this part no on the corsair website I'm at a loss as to whether these modules should/shouldn't work with this mobo.

Any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
I was unable to find that motherboards manual however the Nehalem based processors are picky as to which memory slots are filled. Have you referred to the manual to make sure you have the correct slots are being used?

Yes. The first thing i tried was with 4 of the 6 slots filled and i was very careful to follow the manual as to which slots were a1, b1, a2, b2, a3, b3. I've also tried 2 dimms with no luck.

I even downloaded the Intel Memory Configuration Tool which suggests that even if the memory i have is "Quad Rank" which i understand to be the worst case scenario, the motherboard will slow it down to 800mhz. With only two dimms it is able to run the memory at 1066.

I read one of your other posts and checked if i had mounted the heatsink incorrectly such that the cpu wasn't seated correctly on the pins but it was seated fine.

Update:

Okay I sent it back to the supplier and they didn't find anything wrong with it, it posted fine in an asus server based off the intel 5000X series chipset. It does match the requirements for this motherboard (ecc,reg, 1333mhz, etc.) but doesn't seem to be compatible.

In any case I've asked them for a refund.

Archived