Corsair Community

Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHZ slow clock speeds

MSIX

Recently installed some Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb 3200 mhz (8x4) and ran some memory tests on them.

I am lucky to hit 2900mhz.

This is a new machine running the following.

Gigabyte Designare Ex x299 mobo

Intel i7 7820x 8 core

XMP is enabled in the bios.

Am I missing something?

Anything over 2133Mhz is technically an overclock for DDR4.

That said, your CPU supports (according to Intel) up to 2666Mhz.

Anything over that may or may not work, depending on CPU and motherboard. Getting 2900 Mhz is still an overclock and, as with any overclock, your success will depend primarily on the silicon lottery.

Anything over 2133Mhz is technically an overclock for DDR4.

That said, your CPU supports (according to Intel) up to 2666Mhz.

Anything over that may or may not work, depending on CPU and motherboard. Getting 2900 Mhz is still an overclock and, as with any overclock, your success will depend primarily on the silicon lottery.

Thanks for the response DevBiker... I was not aware of the 2666Mhz limit as it recognized the 3200 with Intel XMP enabled. So is the 3200mhz just a waste of extra speed for this machine?

Thanks for the response DevBiker... I was not aware of the 2666Mhz limit as it recognized the 3200 with Intel XMP enabled. So is the 3200mhz just a waste of extra speed for this machine?

Yes and no. As with any overclock, YMMV. You may be able to tweak it to get it stable @ 3200Mhz by tweaking various settings (like BCLK). Keep in mind that the memory controller is on the CPU. Even if you don't have an Asus motherboard, take a look at the Asus Kaby Lake overclocking guide. While not specific to your CPU, many of the concepts and techniques are still applicable (https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/the-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/).

Yes and no. As with any overclock, YMMV. You may be able to tweak it to get it stable @ 3200Mhz by tweaking various settings (like BCLK). Keep in mind that the memory controller is on the CPU. Even if you don't have an Asus motherboard, take a look at the Asus Kaby Lake overclocking guide. While not specific to your CPU, many of the concepts and techniques are still applicable (https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/the-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/).

I will take a look at that. Thank You! Also shouldnt the RAM show up in my Icue dashboard? It shows on the "Devices" but nothing on my dashboard??

You'll need to add it to the dashboard. Click the "+" next to the Dashboard menu item.

And if you can't control the lighting, make sure that SPD Write is enabled in your BIOS.

Done and Done! Thanks again!

Archived