Corsair Community

What RAM for the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP

Potential Buyer

I was going to buy the GA-8KNXP before I found these forums. BOY AM I GLAD I DIDN'T BUY IT! I see nothing but problems with Corsair TwinX and this mainboard. I see a lot of cases saying that one sticks works, but not 2. Some say BIOS give trouble. There's more on top of that. What I want to know is this: What is the best memory to get with this mainboard that requires little or no trouble to use? I want to use a twinx pair, but so far reading in these forums, I can't find that any work real well. I'm not a hard-core OC'er, just want to build a fast computer. Not intrested in playing with Ram timings and what-not unless guaranteed to work. If corsair can't run on this mainboard, what ram is better? I'm looking to a pair of sticks that run at 3200/400Mhz. Tom's Hardware Guide reviewed this mainboard, here is the link: [url]http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030707/index.html[/url] They used Corsair TwinX, a combination of 2 256 modules. In thier review they stated no problem like those seen here. They even used the BIOS setting, "Top Performance" Will 2 256MB modules be better to use than 2 512MB modules? Means less RAM, but hey, I just might consider it. If you did get some RAM to work, let me know with what BIOS, and settings. DO the Low Latency(LL) provided any large gain over the C2 sticks? And a final, mabey more realistic question.. Is it just a plain better idea to use a diffenerant mainboard than the GA-8KNXP? I have in fact seen several Gigabyte model boards with Intel chipsets have these type of problems, unless I am mistaken. I am also considering the MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R (MS-6758), another mainboard the benchmarked very high on the performance scale, and had easy OC'ing features.

• Corsair Employee
Honestly I really can't tell what MB to get, but I can make a few suggestions. First if you do get Giga Byte, get Rev 2.0 it seems to have far less complaints then Rev 1 had. MSI like Giga Byte when first released both had some issues as with any new model. Compared to other makers they are about 1-3 months late and not as mature both in bios and hardware revision. But MSI's seems to be much more stable with the latest bios as that has addressed most of the memory issues that I am aware of. But with either model I would suggest CMX512-3500C2 or Twinx1024-3200LL and just set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. With Giga-Byte any of the models I have in the lab have not over clocked more than 5 MHz no matter what module I have tested 1 GA-8KNXP's and 2-GA8KNXP Ultra all are Rev 1.X. MSI has over clocked well and just requires some attention to detail with bios settings and I would do a search for that model and I think you will find a lot of success story's and the bios settings that were used.

I got the GA-8KNXP and the twinx1024-pro 4000 up and running fine after updating the bios. No problems through memtest or sandra and the games on my Radeon 9800xt are outstanding. If I'm correct the newer bios fixes the PAT issue as well as all the other know ones so goto gigabyte and grab an' update.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived