Corsair Community

Stability needed - Asus P9X79 with CMP32GX3M4X1600C10

Monk1

Hello! Hope I can get some assistance, please.

I keep getting freezes at random times - settings are by XMP. I am using no other settings than what XMP provided. Previously I tried a different brand ram with similar freezing. This is a brand new build of W7 64.

I don't really need to overclock - I am just looking for stabiity for now.

Thanks!!

I keep getting freezes at random times - settings are by XMP. I am using no other settings than what XMP provided. Previously I tried a different brand ram with similar freezing. This is a brand new build of W7 64.

New build or not, if you had similar results with another memory kit then chances are you have issues with ther hardware. Could be a bad MB, CPU,or your SSD.

You can test the memory one stick at a time in the same slot with memtest86+ (link on the left) Load set-up defaults, then enable XMP and let each stick run for about 3 passes or until you get an error.

If they passs in the same slot, test them in the same fashionin the remaining slots to rule out a bad slot on the MB.

Let us know how you make out!

New build or not, if you had similar results with another memory kit then chances are you have issues with ther hardware. Could be a bad MB, CPU,or your SSD.

You can test the memory one stick at a time in the same slot with memtest86+ (link on the left) Load set-up defaults, then enable XMP and let each stick run for about 3 passes or until you get an error.

If they passs in the same slot, test them in the same fashionin the remaining slots to rule out a bad slot on the MB.

Let us know how you make out!

Thanks for the quick reply Peanutz. I have memtest running for a few hours now with no problem. I intend to leave it run overnight but don't expect it to fail.

I really do not want to blame the motherboard just yet. For instance, the kit I tried prior to this did not set the CPU VCCSA voltage which was needed for it to operate (at all). The Corsair kit's settings made that voltage adjustment via the X.M.P. setting automagically. I can't help but think there are more bios settings that could help stabilize my setup.

Maybe I'm hoping for someone to report success with this same setup and perhaps I can copy their settings... Will continue to search around - just got this ram in today so have not experimented that much.

With that you could also try upping the dimm voltage just a little.

Start out at 1.55v and go to 1.6 if you have to You. Bit no more than that.

You also may need to add just a little more to the VCSSA with that much memory than what XMP sets it too. Try just .1v .

. But if memtest passes and those adjustments dont work, i would really get ahold of asus.

Really,You should be able to run those EASIlY with that rig at 1.5v on XMP settings.

Will try to edge those up a bit.

It seems to lock only when I give it a workout - 3-4 VM's and a dozen Internet Explorer tabs. Almost always the lock will occur when using IE.

I really don't need a full 32 - would it make sense that if I were to only use 16GB of this kit it could more easily determine if the MB was having issues? Less stress and need for the increased voltage, etc.

Thanks!

I really don't need a full 32 - would it make sense that if I were to only use 16GB of this kit it could more easily determine if the MB was having issues? Less stress and need for the increased voltage, etc.

No, not really. It may be less stress. But that would mainly be on the memory controller in the CPU. It really isn't any less stress on the memory or the MB. And you are also not testing all the slots that way either. Or the ability of the board to use all the slots at once because your only using two sticks instead of 4.

I take it they all passed memtest then?

Archived