Corsair Community

CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 2 kits question

Mr Looolz

Hello,

Its been well over a year since i posted here , so glad to be back :)

i own a CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 kit and decided to upgrade. i live in UAE and i found 1 remaning kit in a shop CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 and although i know it says multiple times here not gauranteed the match am just going to take the risk.

my question is when i use two CMP6GX3M3A1600C8. do i just set xmp and go on or do i have to manual tune the timings and so on ? because of this will involve effort beyond plug and play i most probably will just not do it.

could someone advise please :)

thanks,

R

You can try, but you will more than likely set them manually. You may even need to run them at the next lowest SPD grade(1333) when you mix two kits like that. You will also have to set the memory controller and DIMM voltage to reflect the overclock. No one can tell if they will be plug and play or not, there is just no way to tell.

Kind of defeats the purpose of 1600mhz RAM.

I seriously urge you to just replace what you have and get a matched 12 gig kit for complete compatibility and rated speeds.

I really wish too, am going to do some digging around. when i memtest the current kit i do get some errors is that enough cause of RMA?

there is one shop here, that have 1 remaining kit of 12gb rams 1600mhz 9-9-9-24.

ill have to see with them.

when i memtest the current kit i do get some errors is that enough cause of RMA?

Test each stick individually. This will tell you if your errors are coming from one particular stick or some other issue.

If you have a stick that does error, sure you can RMA them.

I

thanks for your support so far.

i roamed the market today and it is practically impossible to find another kit or any triple channel kit as a matter of fact so i decided to gift this set to a friend.

i want to make a purchase for my current system and could use some guidance.

its a x58 gigabyte ud 5 mother board with an i7 950.

ssd plextor drive and a gtx 480.

my friend told me that i could purchase a quad kit. plug 1st 2nd 3rd 5th slots with the ram and still run triple channel.

i went on the website and there to seem to be quiet a few options. dominator, vengence (gold , blue , LP black) . i dont know what all these are.

what i know is i want a kit 4x4 that is plug and play running at 1600mhz with decent timing. i do not plan to OC just xmp profile

i do want to stick to corsair so could some1 advice.

this way i could use this kit and carry it over to a new system when i do upgrade. money limited to what i mentioned above is not an issue.

my friend told me that i could purchase a quad kit. plug 1st 2nd 3rd 5th slots with the ram and still run triple channel.

No, with that configuration it would go into a "hybrid" mode. Best to just use three sticks if you do that.

what i know is i want a kit 4x4 that is plug and play running at 1600mhz with decent timing. i do not plan to OC just xmp profile

XMP IS overclocking. It just sets the correct voltage and values for you. You DO NOT want a 4x4 kit. You want a 3 or 6 stick kit for correct operation.

with that said, you can use any kit from this link They are all compatible with your MB.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=718420

om what i gather some have lower voltages. i think since my mobo is old maybe 1.6-1.7V am not sure to be honest.

You can use anything between 1.5 and 1.65v memory with your board.

Thank you for your continuous support.

My friend, i want to get a quad kit because in the future i can just move the kit over to the new mother board.

as for what i was saying about running 4 sticks in triple channel.

please check out this pic from the manual of the board.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/ramspec.jpg/

at this point i cant decide weather i should go with dominator or vengence and if vengence which one (blue,gold, LP jet black)

the trick is to pick a ram that will smooth run now, and will carry over well .

what do you think ? possible? or am dreaming?

your question is valid but the pic makes no sense, triple channel means 3 not 4 so how it works is beyond logic unless say in slot 1 and 2 you have 2x512m sticks and 3-3 and 3-5 you have 1 gig sticks so 3 gigs in total and the board allows combining the first 2 slots.

if this is not the case im totally baffled by the 3/4 stick operation.

you may want to ask Gigabyte how tri channel works with quad sticks. totally baffling.

This system is pretty old. i have many friends running 4 sticks (8gb) in this config and cpu-z reads the setup as tri channel. that pic is snapped out of the official manual for the board.

what the specific mechanisim is to be honest am not sure.

i would assume a quad kit is backward compatible to a tri kit. i mean like i said a quad kit would be the better "investment" i am going to go for it.\

could some1 give me guidance to which kit though?

am torn between dominator and vengence (blue or gold or black).

1600mhz with decent timing.

1 suggestion given to me was vengence because its more compatible with sandy bridge.

so a suggestion to which type fits my current case more (x58) and a reason would be appreciated.

and again thank you for your time , knowledge and replies :biggrin:

1 suggestion given to me was vengeance because its more compatible with sandy bridge.
great advice there, i also agree.

most of the Dominator line run @ 1.65v sandybridge likes 1.5 or lower so the Vengeance line is more apt to perform better with the lower voltage.

The only variation is color. Unless the speed and timings are different. And the LP versions are the same exact module with a low profile heat spreader. The LP line also has a few that are 1.35v. But i do not suggest those for your system. You would more than likely need to run them at a higher voltage than rated anyway. The only time i suggest the LP is if you need the clearance for your CPU cooler. Some of the larger ones hang over the first DIMM slot.

Synthohol is correct though. Each series of module was targeted towards a certain chipset. The Dominator line runs best on x58chipset and some previous chipsets.

The Vengeance line ws designed and tested for the Sandybridge CPU's because of the lower voltage requirements. However that does not mean you can't use one or the other in either system. So basically it's up to what you want/like and the timings your looking for.

As i pointed out earlier, any of the modules listed as compatible for your board will be suitable.

Archived