Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX and Intel DX48BT2 can't run at 1600 mhz

BlackKnight

I am having problems getting this memory to run at 1600 mhz. I have been researching this topic and have read all the threads on this board and I don't think I have seen a definitive answer and whether this memory will run at the rated speed in an Intel x48 chipset. I currently have it running at 1339 (669.8 x2). CPU is Q9400 overclocked to 3.2 (400 f.s.b. x 8).

The board will not post using the rated settings at 1600. Does anybody successfully have this combination running?

There is another long thread regarding the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX with the DX48BT2 and it seems some have been successful running at 1600.

Also to be noted is that I have not seen any post on theses topics since the 2 latest bios revisions 1900 dated(1/28/09) but actually released Feb 17th then a quick release two days later of 1902 on (2/19/2009).

see attached screen shot

screenshot.thumb.jpg.c6e089097ba6223e069fba0bbaa48c0e.jpg

My advice to people with that board is to purchase 1333Mhz memory. I have installed this board with 1600mhz, set the FSB to 400Mhz, memory to 1600Mhz, MCH to 1.40v and could not find boot. Removed and installed 1333Mhz memory and no issues. Used the 1600Mhz memory with a P5Q3 with no issues.

• Corsair Employee
Yes, those settings are for TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN I am having problems with TW3X4G-1600C9DHX G

Is it possible to exchange the C9's for the C7's?

No, I am sorry but we can only RMA for the same memory. Try the settings in the thread by Bachus but, set the memory timings manually to 9-9-9-24.

Ok I have tried everything and nothing will allow me to boot with memory running at 1600 I have even reduced the cpu multiplier to 6 and went as high as 1.5v on mch.

I also could not find any lab test results on this site for this memory and the original product sheet specified that it was tested on some of the most popular motherboards to run at the rated spec. It seems like this memory has major problems running at 1600 even on x58 chipset. I am very disapointed with my purchase and feel that I was mislead.

Test the memory in another board that is known to work correctly with that speed. That memory is not made for X58. It's made for Core 2. X58 demands a lower voltage part. It's not the memory, but blame it if you wish. I understand that you do not want to accept that this board has a hard time with high speed memory.

You can return the memory and move to a lower speed memory and will be fine. Or, conversely, you can RMA the board for its inability to run at 1600Mhz and very likely the next board will.

Ok I have tried everything and nothing will allow me to boot with memory running at 1600 I have even reduced the cpu multiplier to 6 and went as high as 1.5v on mch.

I also could not find any lab test results on this site for this memory and the original product sheet specified that it was tested on some of the most popular motherboards to run at the rated spec. It seems like this memory has major problems running at 1600 even on x58 chipset. I am very disapointed with my purchase and feel that I was mislead.

• 1 month later...

I have the same ram and board as you do and I was having the same problems but I have fixed them. Try this and if it doesn't work then let me know.

Restore your bios settings to default. Next, go into your processor overrides and turn your Processor Multiplier Override and Host Clock Frequency Override to Manual. Set the Processor Multiplier to 7 and Host Clock Frequency (MHz) to 400.

Now for the Memory Config. Set your Memory Frequency to 1333, yes, 1333 and not 1600. tCL to 9, rRCD to 9, tRP to 9, and tRASmin to 24. Last set your Command Rate to T2.

These are the ONLY settings I changed in order to get my ram to run at 1600. Restart your computer and look in the Main tab. Your System Bus Speed should be 1600 MHz and your System Memory Speed Override should be 1600 MHz.

The guy at Corsair tried to explain to me why the ram was running at 1600 MHz even though I set it to 1333 MHz but I didn't really understand, I know it has something to do with the core clock frequency on the processor but that's about it.

Good luck and let me know what happens!

• 3 months later...
Intel's Technical documents on this board are inconsistent. The latest one says only 2 gig of 1600 speed ram is supported, (in very particular slots) contrary to what the first document says (4gig). I have been trying to get my system stable for a year now. Also the ram has to be XMP type.

Archived