Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-64005DHX on Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6

michel_hanzen

Hello,

When I install 1 pair of TWIN2X4096-64005DHX (4gb) on my motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6, Vista X64 Ultimate is working perfectly well.

When I install 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-64005DHX, the system freezes after logon. I tried to install a fresh test system to see if the problem is not linked with one of the product installed on VISTA >> same problem.

Memtest x86+ ok

Tests already performed:

lower memory clock to DDR667/533: boot failed

DDR2 SDRAM voltage: 1.9V/2.0V/2.1V >> problem remains

DDR2 SDRMA Voltage 2.0V Chipset Voltage: 1.45V >> problem remains

Any idea that can help??

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Perform a hard reset of your system.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit

Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) Shut your system down. Restart and enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before.

Set to these values:

Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (MIT)

CPU Clock Ratio = Auto
CPU Host Clock
HT Link Frequency = Auto
PCI-e Clock = 100Mhz
Memory Clock = DDR 667

System Voltage Control = Auto
CPU Voltage Control = Auto
DDR2 Voltage Control = +.2v 
Chipset Voltage Control = +.3v
PCI-e Voltage Control = Auto
HTT Voltage Control = Auto
HTR Voltage Control = Auto

DRAM Configuration
DCTs Mode = Unganged
Set Memory Clock = Manual
Memory Clock = x3.4 (667Mhz)
DDRII Timing Items
CAS# Latency = 5
RAS to CAS R/W Delay = 5
Row Precharge Time = 5
Minimum RAS Active Time = 15
1T/2T Command Timing = 2T
All rest set to Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Shut the system down. Insert the second stick of DRAM in Slot 3. Restart the system and make sure it boots. Then shut down and insert a third stick in slot 2. Restart the system and make sure it boots. Then shut down and finally insert the last stick in slot 4. Restart and boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Hello,

As already stated: impossible to go down to 667Mhz when the four modules are in. (Error message at boot that forced me to back to last "safe" settings). Is it possible that it is because the SPD frequency of the two modules I add are 400 Mhz and 270 Mhz (see CPUz attached)??

At 800Mhz, no problem with memtest with 4 or 8 Gb installed

CPUz.jpg.42d4650ed54e56df0117193898f95282.jpg

No problem with memtest but even with voltage increase on memory and chipset >> Windows frozen some minutes after start-up (no problem in safe mode). I have tried also to disable all tasks activated at start-up >> same problem even on my test system with few programs installed.

I think I give up.

I just hope that the new Intel Nehalem (I7) does not have the same issues that AMD has had with high end memory and the on CPU Memory controller. It's followed AMD since the inclusion of the on CPU memory controller (A64) and is worse on the Phenom.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/full.jpg

It's far easier with Intel and the on motherboard legacy memory controller.

Archived