Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX on EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 (780i)

Komg

I recently built myself another computer and I am experiencing some problems.

I am currently in email tag with EVGA support on the issue but they raised the possibility that I may be experiencing a memory issue, so i thought I would come here and get see if anyone else has had or is having this problem.

When I have 8gigs of the Corsair TWIN2x4096-6400C5DHX on the EVGA 780i 132-CK-NF78-A1 motherboard its really hit or miss on if I can get the system to boot up. For one week the system worked fine, I set 8 gigs of ram in the PC installed Vista 64bit with no trouble and enjoyed a week of great ussage. Then I start getting BSOD from Vista followed by a refusal of the system to reboot (no video signal, no USB power to any prephials) so I am thinking the problem is motherboard related.

But to get the system to reboot I need to remove a stick of ram OR remove the SLI bridge. After this the system will reboot in BIOS safe mode and tell me I need to check the cpu and memory frequency (all still at defaults). The crashes started to occur everyday, then twice a day in rapid succession. Then even from cold start.

Then i started to get the motherboard post error codes for base memory.

The flat point is if I remove ANY of the sticks of ram the whole things runs fine. No crashes in the two days since I removed 2 gigs and just run on 6. Put 8 gigs back in and its hit or miss if the system will boot.

Corsair lists that that ram is compatible with the board, but EVGA does not list that particular model number as being compatible with the board (though it does not list it as being incompatible).

A competitor memory also runs fine at 4gigs (2 DIMMS) but I can not test 8 gigs as I do not have enough.

Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to AUTO or Default, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test. If they all pass then I would install them and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP voltage to +.05 Volts and test with all four installed. But with 4 modules you may have to set the memory frequency at DDR667.

BIOS is up to date of course (P03 release).

Why would I run all 4 modules on 2.0 Volts as opposed to the 1.8 on the name plate (if everything is good on the memtest of course)?

• 1 month later...

Very likely your on motherboard memory controller (MCP) does not like working with a four DRAM slot population and can not access and load the DRAM at the full speed of the DRAM. Drop your DRAM speed from 800Mhz to 667Mhz and increase your MCP voltage to 1.45/1.50v.

If this passes memtest, then clearly you need to run it at this level.

Very likely your on motherboard memory controller (MCP) does not like working with a four DRAM slot population and can not access and load the DRAM at the full speed of the DRAM. Drop your DRAM speed from 800Mhz to 667Mhz and increase your MCP voltage to 1.45/1.50v.

If this passes memtest, then clearly you need to run it at this level.

this did not work either, any other ideas?

this did not work either, any other ideas?

It looks as though your motherboard memory controller (MCP) is a bit wonky when it comes to populating with all four DRAM slots.

I would look to board RMA and be certain that they send you a board tested with all four DRAM slots populated. Also, be certain to document your board serial number so that you are not given the same one back. There have been reports of this happening with EVGA.

Archived