Corsair Community

New TwinX Dominator PC2-6400 giving PFN_LIST_CORRUPT errors

Hi there

Just recently (18th February) purchased the 2GB (2x1GB) CorsairTWinX XMS2 Dominator PC2-6400 CAS 4-4-4-12 pack (serial 599082295) from my computer supplier (scan.co.uk) for my new home PC, based around an Intel Pentium D 925 on an Asus P5W DH motherboard. Nothing fancy, nothing overclocked, latest bios (1901), running XP Home SP2a.

First thing I notice that is amiss is that in POST it's showing up as PC2-5300 not PC2-6400, which I thought was a little odd. In Windows XP, every few hours I'm finding the explorer.exe process stalling on me, and attempts to kill and then relaunch the process from task manager almost always result in a BSOD with the error PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. I've Googled and discovered that this error relates to RAM corruption (having first tried updating drivers, disabling various bits of hardware, etc)... I've tried reseating the memory, etc, but no joy at all.

Any ideas? Does it sound like the memory needs replacing? I contacted the shop I bought it from and they said to contact yourselves on this forum. I'm in the UK, and as I both work in IT and run a computer-based recording studio, I really can't afford much downtime here... I may have to resort to buying another pair of the same RAM just to keep myself running while this memory is sorted out!

Thanks

Martin

• Corsair Employee
With that CPU you will need to run the memory at 533 or 667 MHz that is the limitation of the chipset. And I would load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the Frequency to 266/533 Mhz and set the timings to the tested settings and disable legacy USB and then test the syste, with http://www.memtest.org.

Thank you, Ram Guy, that's most helpful. Dropped it down to 533 and 2.0V this morning and it's as stable as anything (tried all kinds of things to force it to crash but with no success!). Can't run Memtest as I have no floppy drive in my system and disabling USB legacy disables my keyboard, but I've run a full benchmark test on it and it's come through fine. I'll hang fire panicking about the 800MHz stability until I can afford to upgrade my CPU to a Core Duo E6600 or something similar.

Thanks again, delighted to learn I don't need to shell out more money or return it at this time.

Overclocking in a situation where the desired result is stability? I think not - OC'ing is fine for gamers, but not for creative media!

Had the system bomb out a couple of times on me again over the weekend, even at 533... and not even when having anything running other than Outlook and Media Player. Managed to do a full 3 hour recording yesterday afternoon with no troubles though. So I'm still not convinced the memory is "right", although the need is perhaps less pressing than it was.

Archived