Corsair Community

AX1200i Fan is not working - clicks all the time

DerStig

This power supply is probably the most disappointing computer part I have ever purchased. This is the second AX1200i I am working with, first one was just dead after a month (click click, no start, self-test failure). Now this one has started having this issue where the fan is not working. Now I did my research, I know about the "fanless" mode, but this isn't that. I run Prime95 and FurMark, all together, where my computer is drawing at least 650W, and the fan always has this "click" where it tries to run, but it doesn't. There is also a slight movement. It happens every 3-4 seconds, repeatedly. It's not the click that comes from within the power supply when you start it, this comes from the fan itself, its a quieter click. Is the fan dead?

Corsair, sorry, but seems like you put together bunch of engineers in a room and added a whole bunch of smart features on this product and along the way overcomplicated it. A power supply should not be this complex, it should just "work". When you make something complicated, it also becomes more prone to failures. A PSU is probably the only headache free piece of any computer I built, except this one. Everything about it is a problem and I'm not the only one who has this issue. Now I need to replace this one too? Come on.

Is there anyway you can refund my money back? I am just sick and tired of dealing with this PSU.

• Corsair Employee

Does the fan spin up when you first turn on the system? If yes that that may be normal the way we control the fan is a custom PWM style of control so at low current or load on the PSU where the fan is just starting to spin the load may be not enough to make it spin up. And because it is PWM Pulse Width Modulation the Voltage is pulsing to the fan IE why it is clicking or trying to spin.

Can you add another Video card and maybe a few HDD's and see if the Fan does not spin up?

Yes, the fan spins when I start up my computer, so I'm guessing this is the way this PSU is? Why does the fan does the click sound every 3-4 seconds, and it moves/rotates very slightly? Why can't they add a check that says

if( temp < X)

dont even bother touching the fan

else

supply voltage to the fan

I'm no engineer, but that's what I would do. Is there anyway to fix this?

• Corsair Employee

Are you using C Link SW? If so, do you have the PSU fan set in quiet mode?

The fan is controlled both by load and temp simultaneously via custom PWM, that is the clicking sound that you are hearing, voltage is pulsing but it shouldn't be loud at all. Is the clicking sound louder than any of you case fans?

Are you using C Link SW? If so, do you have the PSU fan set in quiet mode?

The fan is controlled both by load and temp simultaneously via custom PWM, that is the clicking sound that you are hearing, voltage is pulsing but it shouldn't be loud at all. Is the clicking sound louder than any of you case fans?

I will try C link. I have the cable connected, but I never bothered installing the software. That being said, I am using e-loop noiseblocker fans that are rated 600-1800 rpm. I run them at 600 rpm. I paid them a ton of money ($25/piece) and build my entire rig around quietness (I have 3 x 480 SR1 radiators), so yes it is loudable.

If I am playing games or listening music, you can't hear it. But if its 2 am in the morning, and its quiet, then you can easily hear it.

I don't understand, I installed it and all I see is CPU temperature, GPU temperature, and drive temperature and an image of the inside of a case. There is no setting for the PSU, in fact, there is no mention of PSU anywhere.

I do have the cable connected (I have had it since day 1).

• Corsair Employee
Corsair Link is not compatible with Windows 8 so I would uninstall the software and reboot, then down load it again if you need to but save it to your HDD and right click on the file and select properties and then Compatibility select Windows 7 32 Bit and select install in Administrator mode. The install it again and right click on it and run as Administrator.

I have done what you suggested and it started crashing again. I understand you are a very helpful person and spend hours helping everyone here for years and I really don't want to give you a hard time (and I hope you don't take anything I said or will say personally).

That being said, this is extremely disappointing. Corsair cannot sell a $350 PSU and not support Windows 8. Or let me re-phrase it, you cannot hide this from public, you need to put a big sign on your product page with bold letters that says "Windows 8 is not supported". This is just ridiculous, seriously, how hard is it to update this on time? You are a hardware manufacturer, I'm sure even before public got the beta release of Windows 8, you got a (or let's just say "could" because you obviously didn't do anything) head start on the new driver API, we are talking about months if not at least a year of head start.

And even all of that is so hard to do, just at least put a sticky post here in the forums saying C-Link is broken for Windows 8. The problem is, if you did that, you guys know the enthusiast community who always goes for the latest and greatest (which by the way the only people who will pay $350 for a power supply) will never buy your product. If I knew that I was paying the extra $50 for a broken software, I would have gotten the previous version of this PSU and be done with it.

Is there anyway I can contact to someone senior who can answer as to what it is the company is doing to fix this?

Thanks for your help and please don't take anything I said personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot believe how Corsair is simply ignoring this. It's these small incidents that cause companies to get a very bad rep. Anyways, I am going to constantly post here until

a) A mod deletes this thread.

b) Someone comes here and explains whats going on.

c) Someone who can give me the contact details of who can do #b so that I can contact him myself and ask comes here and post.

Yes I "could" submit a support ticket, but then the whole world won't know the story, which is the point of this thread. You just cannot sell a $350 power supply that is released 6 months ago and not support the newest operating system (where the entire point of $350 is THE software!).

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Derstig - Just to be clear on this matter, we are fully aware of this issue and have mentioned numerous times both in Cooling, C Link, and PSU section that WE, Corsair is working on a new SW that will fully support Win8, and this progress is on its final stages and will be out soon. We are NOT ignoring the issue, matter of fact, the C Link (cooler and PSU) product page did not specify Win8 support and yet we are still trying to resolve some issues despite the fact that they are not officially supported. You guys are not being pushed aside but rather heard, because all infos that you guys are providing are critical to us and will help us improve future versions.. I apologize that it is inconvenient for a some of you guys but this process takes time. All we ask of you is a little more patience and sooner or later we will get this matter ironed out.

SOrry your having a problem, but I laughed at latest and greatest. Enthusiasts do get latest and greatest and would be the only ones spending 850$ but anyone I know with a water cooled system or even a rig worth looking twice at. WONT BE CAUGHT DEAD with windows 8.. I use to be anearly adopter, that stopped after Vista. I will test drive an OS but not on my main ENthusiast rig. Ill install on trash laptop or crap desktop. but for my tri SLI water cooled gaming rig. I use the "BEST and Greatest" not latest and greatest.. Mainly cuz latest and the computer world dosn't work.. Did you ever get it working? im having issues with my 1200i

In windows 7 with the software, I can right click the FAN and say configure option / window. and click some drop downs, I do have a spot to change PWM. its funny on silent its set to 40% but thats not enough to move the fan just make it click.. Which you would think they wouldn't do that. Just put it at 0 No clicking.. but it takes about 60% to get it spinning and even than its like 600 RPM.. its a big fan. I have a feeling that is why it takes so much PWM power to get going. I hope they get windows 8 fxied for you. but it also might be worth trying to go back to 7. because more gamers that stick with 7. will re infornce the fact to microsoft they screwed up 8... Yes windows is great, yes most businesses use it, but I think its time they make different products for different things

the touch screen and fancy UI, leave it for phones.. for a work computer give us something like 7... as for gaming I prefer 7 than something like 8.. But I wouldn't mind a SLIM / resource light / hardware intensive OS for us pure gamers. Hell even charge 200 - 300 for it. Massive hardware driver database. update stuff quickly, strip the bloat and crap out of it. stream line the gaming platform make it XBOX PC... Let us put the hardware in. you make the OS. I'll pay premium.. but just adopting every piece of crap MS puts out there. is just asking for punshment later.

Archived