Corsair Community

Fan speed fluctuation and buzzing noise from fans, mobo sensor support

Ryld Baenre

I recently purchased the corsair link fan+ lighting kit and had a chance to set it up today. In the front of my 800D case I have an SP120-hp and AF140 mounted. While the fans are running at max speed there is no other audible noise other than the normal noise the fans make. However, while the fans are under custom control of the link with the AF140 running at ~1000rpm and the SP120 running at ~1200rpm they both make clicking noises. Is this normal for these fans or are they defective?

I also replaced the bottom and rear 140mm fans on the case with Triebwerk TK-123 highspeed fans. When I initially installed the fans the fan controller was on the 1.1.12 firmware. On this firmware the fans would only be partially controlled by the controller. While they wanted to run at 3000rpm +/-10% if I had the controller set at fixed it would run them around 2000rpm. The software was set to run them at 1200-1500rpm. While this was acceptable it would have been nice to be able to drop them down to the desired speed. Within ~30 mins of installing the link I updated the cooling node to 1.2.5. When I installed the new firmware the fans either ran at full rpm or ramped down between 300-800. The software did not allow the drop down to 2000rpm when set at 1500. However, when I used the voltage dropper that came with the SP/AF fans it allowed the fans to run at a constant ~1200 rpm. This method gave me no control over the rpm of the fans and the resistors get quite warm to the touch. I've attached prtscrn of the C-link interface just to show the rpm of the tk123 fans and the lack of control during use. The 1st image both fans are using the voltage dropper. The 2nd + 3rd image show the rpm of the fan on balanced, without the voltage dropper, directly connected to the cooling node, only seconds apart. The 900rpm is not the lowest rpm the fans went down to, it was more like 400 as mentioned previously.

I apologize for the large size of the images. The quality is quite distorted when shrunk down.

Removed

My final questions are, can we expect corsair link to be able to integrate information from onboard mobo sensors in the future? With AISuite II I am able to monitor a large amount of sensors on my sabertooth z77 board. Prior to the link all the cooling info (fans+temps) was in one place. I would have loved to be able to run the fans off the mobo but I wanted to play it safe with the headers on the mobo as these require molex power and the cooling node provides it. Finally, I was unable to find any information on how the link actually controls fan speeds? Is that floating around somewhere on the site?

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry but I am not clear on what fan you have in what location so its hard to answer you specifically.

Please shrink your image and we can blow it up if we need to see something...

However, with our SP and AP series FAN's and with the latest cooling node firmware they should be controllable in the Link software. Third party fans are still hit and miss for compatibility. In addition you will need to be cautious when using third party fans that you do not over load the cooling node it is rated at 4 Amps MAX and no more than 2 amps on one header. So if you have two fans rated at 1.75 Amps you can only have one more fan rated no more than .5 Amps.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/SGTTEMPEST/PC/th_Clinktk123.png

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/SGTTEMPEST/PC/th_asdfasd.png

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/SGTTEMPEST/PC/th_asdf.png

The AF fan is blowing air on the hotswap bay, the SP fan is blowing them in the lower HDD cage. The 2 TK123 fans are mounted as intake at the bottom and back of the case. The TK123 fans are rated at 0.35-1.5A tops so there is a total of 3.28 amps on the cooling node with the 2 corsair fans if they are all drawing max power.

• Corsair Employee
With Two of those fans you can only connect one more fan and it cannot be more then .5 Amps or it will over load the cooling node. 1.75 Amps X 2 = 3.5 Amps total and it is a MAX of 4 Amps.

Okay. My questions still remain unanswered.

1. Is it normal for the SP/AF fans to click when the rpm is turned down via the link software as I have experienced or is this a defect with the fans? There doesn't appear to be any clicking noise when using the supplied voltage dropper. However, this doesn't allow for running of the fans at full speed when desired and if I just wanted to drop the speed I would have used the voltage droppers rather than purchasing the link.

2. From updating the cooling node firmware, control for the triebwerk fans seems to have worsened. Before I could at least drop them down to 1900-2000 which was acceptable. Now there is absolutely no control over them. Any rhyme or reason for this or is this just not possible to answer as they are not a corsair product?

3. Also, how does the link control the speed of the fans? Does it not just regulate the voltage supplied to the 3-pin fans as other controllers do?

Okay. My questions still remain unanswered.

1. Is it normal for the SP/AF fans to click when the rpm is turned down via the link software as I have experienced or is this a defect with the fans? There doesn't appear to be any clicking noise when using the supplied voltage dropper. However, this doesn't allow for running of the fans at full speed when desired and if I just wanted to drop the speed I would have used the voltage droppers rather than purchasing the link.

2. From updating the cooling node firmware, control for the triebwerk fans seems to have worsened. Before I could at least drop them down to 1900-2000 which was acceptable. Now there is absolutely no control over them. Any rhyme or reason for this or is this just not possible to answer as they are not a corsair product?

3. Also, how does the link control the speed of the fans? Does it not just regulate the voltage supplied to the 3-pin fans as other controllers do?

1. I don't know.

2. It is hit or miss with third party fans. The H100 (when connected to the Link) will only have a 500RPM spread for my GT AP-15s. When they are connected to the Node it rises to a 1000 RPM spread.

3. I don't know.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

• Corsair Employee

These would be best answered by Cool Guy but I will see if I can get you some answers by the end of this week.

1. Let's have Cool Guy get an answer for this.

2. Answer given by Randolf

3. Let's have Cool Guy get an answer for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

A: Cool Guy: 1.) Yes, the SP/AF fans when the RPM is lowered by Corsair Link software makes a faint clicking noise. This is not a defect in the fan.

A: Cool Guy: 2.) Never heard of the fans, have not tested them in house, can’t comment.

A: Cool Guy: 3.) It does regulate voltage, but not in the standard DC 5-12 volt way. We use a PWM/PDM control method that very quickly turns off and on the voltage at a given frequency to attain a set RPM.

Thanks for the replies! Glad the fans aren't defective but not thrilled about the link not being able to control my fans :( such is life :(

One thing I do find curious is that when not using the voltage dropper (came with the sp/af fans) I see massive fluctuations in the RPM of the fans (the triebwerk fans), presumably because of the pwm/pdm control. As soon as the voltage dropper is installed they run at a relatively constant speed (within 100 rpm). Any idea why this may be? Does the slowing of the current through the resistor negate the modulation coming from the cooling unit? What is being used to drop the voltage? Just a resistor? and if so what kind?

Software Issues:

1.Upon startup the link asks to run and then minimizes to the start bar, not the system tray, should this be happening like this? If so it would be nice to have the software start up in the background and run in the systray much like the vengeance k90 software does.

2. I have one more but will need to get a screenshot next time it occurs. It's difficult to explain.

• Corsair Employee
1.Upon startup the link asks to run and then minimizes to the start bar, not the system tray, should this be happening like this? If so it would be nice to have the software start up in the background and run in the systray much like the vengeance k90 software does

A: Yes this is a current limitation of the software and we are working on a newer version that will not display in this fashion but we do not have an ETA sorry!

And have you tried it with out the in line Voltage drop resistor?

Yeah, I have used it without the voltage dropper and that is when I get the erratic fan speeds. The voltage dropper just runs the fan speeds at a constant rpm between 1000 and 1300.

Commander>Cooling Node>Triebwerk TK-123 = Random fan speed fluctuation (300-3100)

Commander>Cooling Node>Voltage Dropper> Triebwerk tk-123 = 1000-1300 RPM consistently with no control of rpm.

What type of resistor is in the voltage dropper? and what is the voltage supplied to the fan using the dropper?

• Corsair Employee

I am not sure you would need to contact the maker of the fans that provided the voltage dropper. I assume they came with your fans? Triebwerk TK-123

The way we control the fan speeds is a little different by pulsing the voltage and some fans do not react well with this type of modulation.

• Corsair Employee
I think cool Guy posted that in another thread which I cannot find but I will try to find it for you. They are made for our fans and will drop the fan speed about 300-600 RPM depending on the fan, if I remember correctly.

With the new commander firmware the Triebwerk fans run at max RPM on the maximum setting without any variation. When using the fixed option, at 1000 RPM the fan stops running and then ramps back up to max RPM and on 1050 RPM the fan just stays at max RPM. Still, with the voltage dropper installed there is no control over the fan and it sits around 1000 RPM.

• Corsair Employee
What does the flashing light on the commander indicate? Mine is flashing red/green maybe yellow right now.

Green on and off (about twice per second) means that Stingray is attempting to connect to Windows. It will flash red every ~10 seconds if it cannot and will keep trying.

Solid green and flickering orange is used to show activity; since SierraSerivce is always running, the USB Commander should always be flickering.

Red on and off (about twice per second) indicates some hardware failure or that the unit is in boot-loader mode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived