Corsair Community

Lenovo ThinkPad W500 / CM3X8GSDKIT1066

SalsaShark42

Hello,

Ordered this from NewEgg and it does not work in my ThinkPad W500. I get the BIOS beeps (I'll test it again this evening and post the number of short/long beeps) and no combination that includes the new memory works at all.

Tried it on three other W500s and T500s in our office and it's the same behaviour there.

Counting on Corsair to back up their "Guaranteed Compatibility" and "8GB SODIMM memory kit guaranteed to work on all current DDR3 notebooks" claims here. Already requested an RMA, but I'm not convinced that the memory itself is bad...

W500 does not show up in the Configurator.

I can't run memtest under the present circumstances.

Lenovo's tech specs show "1.5V 4GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 Low-Halogen SODIMM Memory" (part number 55Y3708).

Suggestions?

The POST code is 1-3-3-1 which is, according to Google:

1-3-3-1 28 Autosize DRAM

So...looking for guidance on this one. There are no memory-related settings in the BIOS that I can adjust other than enabling a more thorough diagnostic test on startup.

Also, checked with a coworker who is using another brand of memory successfully in their W500. Same specs as far as I can tell.

CPU-Z TXT Report

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.58

Package (platform ID) Socket P (478) (0x7)

CPUID 6.7.A

Extended CPUID 6.17

Core Stepping E0

Technology 45 nm

Core Speed 2524.7 MHz

Multiplier x FSB 9.5 x 265.8 MHz

Rated Bus speed 1063.0 MHz

Stock frequency 2533 MHz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel GM45/GM47 rev. 07

Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) rev. 03

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

Memory Size 3990 MBytes

Channels Dual, (Symmetric)

Memory Frequency 531.5 MHz (1:2)

CAS# latency (CL) 7.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 7

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7

Cycle Time (tRAS) 20

MCHBAR I/O Base address 0x0FED10000

MCHBAR I/O Size 4096

Hardware monitor ACPI

Temperature 0 59°C (138°F) [0xCFA] (THM0)

Temperature 1 55°C (131°F) [0xCD2] (THM1)

Hardware monitor ATI I/O

Temperature 0 55°C (131°F) [0x37] (TMPIN0)

Hardware monitor AMD ADL

Voltage 0 0.90 Volts [0x384] (VIN0)

Hardware monitor Battery

Voltage 0 12.38 Volts [0x3060] (Current Voltage)

Capacity 0 84240 mWh [0x14910] (Designed Capacity)

Capacity 1 63210 mWh [0xF6EA] (Full Charge Capacity)

Capacity 2 62510 mWh [0xF42E] (Current Capacity)

Level 0 25 pc [0x4B] (Wear Level)

Level 1 99 pc [0x62] (Charge Level)

• Corsair Employee
Please remove all of the memory that is install and remove the battery then turn the NB on and it should beep or blink. Then unplug the power cord to the A/C Adapter and install just one of our modules and plug it in and turn it on and see if it will let you into the BIOS setup and load setup defaults. If so repeat the steps for the next module and test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org if they both pass install both modules and see if it will let you into the BIOS setup and load setup defaults.

Yes, my reply was specifically in response to your instructions, which I followed to the letter. The only thing I get is the 1-3-3-1 POST code--that's with no memory whatsoever in the system and also with one or both of the Corsair modules in place. No problems with one or both of the original modules.

I will check on the number of ICs and post an update later today.

Thanks.

Ah, sorry. The Corsair modules also have 8 on each side (total of 16 per module).

I have the latest BIOS installed (checked that yesterday). I can also confirm that 4GB SO-DIMMS with the same specs from two other companies work fine on my coworkers' systems. So I'm mystified. I see several people at the Amazon link also commenting about incompatibility with newer ThinkPads.

Thanks

I've tested the modules in three other W500s and a T500 (see my first post) to the same effect.

I cannot return the memory to NewEgg at this point because I've passed their 30-day return window, unless someone from Corsair is willing to contact them on my behalf with the recommendation to return the memory due to incompatibility.

Is there a particular reason why Corsair can't fulfill the compatibility guarantee here? I'm not trying to be difficult here, but this seems to be a common issue with the newer ThinkPads and I would assume that Corsair would want to find some resolution to the issue based on the number of reports I'm seeing on Amazon, NewEgg and similar sites...

I've already submitted an RMA request on the outside chance that both modules are bad, but I'm not holding out much hope there. If that doesn't work, then I will need Corsair's assistance in working out a return with NewEgg.

Thanks

I've been asking around our company to find out other peoples' experience with the memory upgrades (we currently standardize on the W5x0 and T5x0 ThinkPads).

Interestingly enough, out of the people who have tried Corsair modules, everyone with the 16-chip modules has had exactly the same problems I am having, but the 8-chip modules work flawlessly (CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9).

Does this make sense? If so, is it possible to exchange the 16-chip modules for the 8-chip?

Okay, thanks...I submitted the RMA request a couple of days ago and am still waiting for it.

We tried the reset steps on a number of other ThinkPads and they all do the 1-3-3-1 POST code. No problems with 4GB modules from two other brands (three if you include the Lenovo/Micron SODIMMs).

The unofficial verdict internally is that the Corsair 16-chip modules do not work in these systems, despite the matching specs. A few people who ended up with 8-chip modules don't have any trouble.

Since Corsair doesn't have any of these systems listed in the Configurator tool, I thought it would be a good opportunity to address the issue once and for all since this problem has been reported frequently.

I'll wait to hear back on the RMA and see how that goes...thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close out this thread:

I got NewEgg to accept the return because they showed this memory as compatible. I hope you guys work more closely with them and update your own Configurator to include the newer ThinkPad models (W5x0 and T5x0, in particular).

The picture on the NewEgg site now shows the SODIMMS with four chips on a side and not the ones I received, which had eight chips a side.

From my own investigation, the 4-chip SODIMMS work in the ThinkPad W500, but the 8-chip SODIMMS do not.

Interestingly enough, the different brand of memory I ended up buying after this debacle has 8 chips on each side and it works flawlessly.

There are a LOT of people out there reporting the exact same issues that I had with these particular ThinkPad models, so I really encourage Corsair to figure out what's going on once and for all. You guys do indeed make memory that works in these machines, but the 8GB kit you sell does not fit that bill.

I appreciate your responsiveness here in the forums. I have done business with Corsair several times in the past and have been happy with the quality of those products. I'm very disappointed, however, in Corsair's complete lack of knowledge about the issue I ran into here and the apparent lack of desire to really figure out the cause and resolution.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

The Memory for any OEM system is chosen by the chipset said system uses, it would not be cost effective to purchase Evey notebook or desktop to do that type of testing to ensure compatibility. But we do test with a wide range of systems.

However, OEM's do not test with third party manufacturers either and in some cases they may need to issue updates to improve compatibility. And that too is slow to happen if at all as they typically only support what they sell directly.

In short I am sorry that it did not work out for you is all I can offer but I am glad you worked that out with the reselle.

Archived