Corsair Community

Carbide 100R Silent Edition

Jake K

I have a simple question about this case.

The case arrived with the 9 motherboard standoffs pre-installed in position to mount an ATX motherboard.

One of these standoffs, the one in the very center, is not like the others.

This center standoff does not have a threaded hole for a screw in it.

In fact, this center standoff has a solid post on the top of it. Maybe a quarter inch high give or take.

It appears this post would stick up through the motherboard when it is installed.

What this is about? I have not seen this before.

I can only imagine so far that it is intended to aid in the mobo installation, to center the board while the other 8 screws are installed. But that's just my imagination. There is an extra, normal standoff included in the hardware kit if I needed it, I'm just baffled by the strange standoff with a post on it.

I will be installing a Micro-ATX motherboard in this case so I will be rearranging the standoffs anyway. I just hope I can find the proper case-holes to align with the needs of my motherboard.

Thanks for your help.

I have not removed that center standoff or examined it closely, perhaps that "post" is removable from the standoff? I'll find out soon enough.

I just got the mobo the other day. It's my first micro-ATX but according to the manual it uses only 6 standoffs (instead of 9), none of which appear to correspond to the center-standoff of the ATX mounting holes but I could be wrong. It's still in the package but maybe it, too, has a hole that corresponds to that center post.

Thanks for the reply.

Installed the motherboard today (ASUS Z170M-Plus, micro-ATX).

This mobo uses only six screws so I dispensed with that "alignment" standoff, moved up two of the lower standoffs, and removed the unused standoffs. The needed six screws lined up perfectly.

The micro-ATX mobo looks great in the Carbide 100R case and allows for plenty of room to work. First time I've built with a micro-ATX mobo and I'm very happy with this choice.

Archived