Corsair Community

Radiator placement and fan orientation

Ronin825

Hi i have just got all the parts for my new build (check my profile for parts not listed here) and i have debating wether to front mount or top mount my radiator.

1.If i front mount it, i want the LL140 RGB fans i bought to show on the front so they woudl have to be oriented as shown in the case-Setup1.png. I feel like pushing the hot air from the radiator in woudl be bad for cooling. Especially since ill be running a 16 core threadripper and 2070 rtx in the case. Woudl there be such a difference between setup 1 and 2 ?

2. I have just now noticed that i will have negative pressure in the case. Any suggestion on which fans to switch to cleanly resolve this issue ?

case-Setup1.thumb.png.3a3cea7d83cc03eda9eb86c541430dc5.png

case-Setup2.thumb.png.aaeb126dedb878a15a4444ac748f373e.png

Your big challenge with setup #2 would be to keep GPU heat away from the radiator. It's a challenge that we see time and time again here on the forum - radiators that get very warm during gaming sessions due to the GPU heat.

Another option is to have the top fans as intake as well as the radiator. This would give you pretty extreme positive pressure.

Your big challenge with setup #2 would be to keep GPU heat away from the radiator. It's a challenge that we see time and time again here on the forum - radiators that get very warm during gaming sessions due to the GPU heat.

Another option is to have the top fans as intake as well as the radiator. This would give you pretty extreme positive pressure.

So if i get what you are saying, you are suggesting is set-up 1 (front mounted radiator) with inverted top fans (#2 and #3) woudnt that defy the intake from front and below and out top and behind usual rule ?

how about reverting fan #1 as an intake ?

and what about adding a regular fan down below as intake ?

It does defy the convention. Zotty has used a similar setup with the 570 however and swears by it.

Personally, I do like having a bottom fan as intake. That can help cool the radiator exhaust that's going into your case. TBH, though, the radiator exhaust will be warm but not exceedingly so. Your GPU heat would be a bigger issue.

It does defy the convention. Zotty has used a similar setup with the 570 however and swears by it.

Personally, I do like having a bottom fan as intake. That can help cool the radiator exhaust that's going into your case. TBH, though, the radiator exhaust will be warm but not exceedingly so. Your GPU heat would be a bigger issue.

I Looked at a lot of video's for comparison of this set-up.

Since i have a open fin GPU. Front mounted radiator seems to be the best solution. For both CPU and GPU temperature overall

As for the the fan orientation. i will probably flip the 2 top ones as intake and possibly adding a bottom 120mm as intake also.

Now i am wondering....that will be a LOT of positive pressure, is there such a thing as too much positive air pressure ?

I will have

Intake : 2x LL140 pushing through the radiator

2x LL140 pushing air from the top of the case

1x LL120 pushing air from the bottom front

exhaust : 1x LL140 at the rear top of the case

1x Fan from the powersupply at the rear bottom

that makes for 5/2 configuration

If it blows the sides off ... that's too much positive pressure. :eek:

Outside of that, it'll just come out of the various cracks, crevices and vents.

HAHAHA okay got it.

I Think my final set up will be Set-up 1 (front mounted) as shown, but ill only add 2x black 120mm noctua fans at the bottom as intake, that will be the closest to neutral presure and less complicated set-up. I will avoid the whole assle of adding another rgb fan hub.

Thanks for you help !

Also sorry to repost in here like that but

I just noticed the fan control on the H115i Pro has a 3 pin connector for the cpu fan header (for speed control from what i read on other posts)

According to the MSI X399 Gaming pro carbon manual, the fan cpu header is 4 pin.

Can i still connect it to the board ? if so which pins ? Will it even fit ?

It will connect just fine.

Four pin fan headers can take 2, 3 or 4 pin fan connectors. There will be a guide to put it on correctly.

When you say there will be a guide, do you mean soon or it will be with my hardware guides ?

Or perhaps do you mean it is shaped in a way where it cant be put on wrong ?

If it is out soon, when can i expect that ?

Thanks again for you help and patience.

Archived