Corsair Community

VX550W odd beeping issue

Ponu

I bought my VX550W allmost six months ago and there have been strange issue with it for the whole time.

It just randomly starts to make beeping sound (coil whine?) that lasts few seconds at the time and when it happens, it happens ALLWAYS three times in a row.

So its *BEEEEP* few seconds of silence *BEEEP* few seconds of silence and the last *BEEEP*.

Also one odd thing is that it also happens when my computer is off.

12V, 5V and 3,3V rails should be within the specs and the fan is spinning so it shouldnt be overheating or anything.

Is this kind of behavior normal for Corsair products or is it bad for my computer?

Like you can see, English isnt my primary language.

EDIT: And yes, im 99% sure that its my PSU whats making the noise.

• Corsair Employee
If its beeping, then its likely coming from the graphics card or the motherboard, the PSU has no way of beeping that I know of. The PSU could emit an electrical sound or a clicking sound could come from the fan, but I can not explain beeping. IF you are sure its coming from the PSU, then lets get it replaced. Request an RMA

Its not that kind of beeping that MoBo does, its more "electric".

If it isnt harmfull, i can live with it becouse it doesnt happen very often, only few times a day.

The same sounds also happens when i run 3DMark but a lot more frequently, then it happens like all the time.

Also when the computer was off and it happened, i pressed the switch on the back of the PSU and it kept "buzzing", the sound just went a little different.

And im 99% sure that its the PSU and not MoBo or graphics card.

I have v-sync enabled and i tried disabling all power saving features but it didnt help.

The sound doesnt happen very often, usually when my computer is off and still only few times a day (may be more often becouse im not home all the time).

Is my PSU broken or is this kind of behavior harmful to my computer?

I have been using this PSU for nearly six months now without any other issues.

Archived