Corsair Community

TX650 making strange sound

kasutaja

Hi

I just got a new TX650 Corsair PowerSupply and after 2-3 days it started to make strange noise. @first it sounded like high pitch noise but after a while when i started to stress the PSU with OCCT it went away but when you but your ear against the psu you can hear a electronic noise or smt.

in short: i dint remember hearing it @ first when i got this psu. Is this a problem and should i RMA it? Or is it normal? Should there be coming out any noise @ all except the moving air sound that the fan makes (its really quiet and you can hear the fan moving only if you but your head against the psu).

Are you positive it's from the psu? How often do you have your head next to the psu? ;): If you think the psu is the culprit I would pull it out of the case and test it on another system.

yes it comes from the PSU. I can hear it inside the psu.

I only have my head next to a psu when it makes strange sounds that i dont like :D:

And why wold i have to test it in another system? If the psu works by it self (jump start with 2 fans) and makes noise what use would it be if i but it into another system?

• Corsair Employee
If you have done the "Paper Clip Test" and it does the same thing, then we can replace it if you like. The noise itself would not indicate that anything is wrong with the PSU and there is probably no chance that the PSU would damage anything in your system. But if the noise is bothering you lets get it replaced. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

If you have done the "Paper Clip Test" and it does the same thing, then we can replace it if you like. The noise itself would not indicate that anything is wrong with the PSU and there is probably no chance that the PSU would damage anything in your system. But if the noise is bothering you lets get it replaced. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

Thank you for your replay.

I know that the PSU should be 100% ok and all but I'm trying desperately to build a "noiseless" PC and this "sound" is ruing it. I just heard that the Corsair TX650 was really a silent PSU thats why I have so high expectations.

But is there a huge change that I will get a new PSU with the same problem?

I probably have to take this PSU back where I bought it because usually this way things are done here (estonia). And when they refuse to change it telling me it's normal I just want to have something certain to tell them like "corsair support said its not normal and they would replace it etc".

• Corsair Employee
If another PSU is doing the same thing then it is probably not the PSU itself that is causing the issues. The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit, and yours should be replaced. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

ok thank you for the info

It's just that when i first ran this psu I dint remember hearing anything. But yesterday when I did cold boot to my pc i noticed that something is really wrong thats all. And my last PSU was O*CZ PowerStream 600W. I know its a lot loader psu but still I dint hear any "noise" like that that would annoy me (O*CZ was with active PFC)

IT seems to get quieter when i has run some time but will c what the warranty service tells me. Hopefully it just goes well and I will get a new noiseless psu.

hm strange... why is the name O*CZ banned in this forum... its replaced with these *****

EDIT:

the strange thing is that when the PSU warms up it stops makeing this high bitch noise.. it only makes low noise inside the psu but you can only hear it when you but your head againts the psu... ore the room is really quiet.

What you're probably hearing is what's called "inductor whine". Inductors are coils of wire wrapped around a core and are used in the power supply to filter ripple and to store charge in a magnetic field.

When used in rectification circuits, the inductors often follow a switch that turns on and off many thousands of times per second. Relatively high currents are involved, and when those high currents switch on and off quickly, the magnetic field created by the current flowing through the inductor builds up and collapses very quickly as well.

The rapid build-up and collapse of the magnetic field interacts with the current flowing through the wire that creates the field, and the force resulting from that interaction can cause the wire to move if it's not wrapped tightly enough. The wire vibrating against the core or against other windings is what you're hearing.

It's not a real problem except for the noise it creates. Often the noise will get worse with higher loads, and can sometimes go away as the coil heats up and the wire expands slightly. If you can find the coil that's making the noise you can often "fix" it by putting a drop of cyanoacrylate glue on it and waiting a day.

What you're probably hearing is what's called "inductor whine". Inductors are coils of wire wrapped around a core and are used in the power supply to filter ripple and to store charge in a magnetic field.

When used in rectification circuits, the inductors often follow a switch that turns on and off many thousands of times per second. Relatively high currents are involved, and when those high currents switch on and off quickly, the magnetic field created by the current flowing through the inductor builds up and collapses very quickly as well.

The rapid build-up and collapse of the magnetic field interacts with the current flowing through the wire that creates the field, and the force resulting from that interaction can cause the wire to move if it's not wrapped tightly enough. The wire vibrating against the core or against other windings is what you're hearing.

It's not a real problem except for the noise it creates. Often the noise will get worse with higher loads, and can sometimes go away as the coil heats up and the wire expands slightly. If you can find the coil that's making the noise you can often "fix" it by putting a drop of cyanoacrylate glue on it and waiting a day.

Tnx for the info (i thought that these things are @ it again) but I'm not going to fix it myself because then I will lose warranty. Tomorrow I will take it to the warranty service and c when and if they will give me a new one (it takes about week or two because of the hollycrapday's and they have a lot of work).

the new one that i got has the same problem. When you listen closely I can hear a buzzing sound and I think that the inductor is doing a "whine" sound.

maybe it suppose to do that but i just thought that this was a near silent operating PSU except when it was on heavy load you would hear the fan.

• Corsair Employee
It sounds like it could be the power you are getting from the wall that is causing the "whine". It would be unlikely that 2 different PSUs would give you the same exact issues. In some cases a good quality backup UPS may be able to "clean up" the power signal from the wall and solve the problem.

It sounds like it could be the power you are getting from the wall that is causing the "whine". It would be unlikely that 2 different PSUs would give you the same exact issues. In some cases a good quality backup UPS may be able to "clean up" the power signal from the wall and solve the problem.

Excellent advice. I'd highly recommend a UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) to ensure the delivery of only safe “clean” electricity. They typically start at $70 USD and go up from there.

maybe its the power but the strange thing is then. why the warranty service heard the same thing and why dint my old O'CZ dint have that noise.

Only thing is that the new psu that I got was from the same patch of psu's that came to the shop.

But I will look what I can to about that problem.

ps: the first psu dint to that "noise" when i first used it.

Archived