Corsair Community

No Performance tab in iCue, fans light up but don't spin

fellhawk

Hi, I recently got 3 LL 120 fans but they don't spin (RGB works) and there is no Performance tab in iCue.

I first had hooked them up to a Node Pro. The fans would spin and light up, but I wanted to control the fan speed so I got a Commander Pro.

I then took the fan control headers off the MOBO and into the CoPro and removed the Node Pro. I also connected the RGB splitter to the CoPro, following the diagram for "Corsair RGB Fan & Commander Pro Setup" in the FAQ: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Now, the fans light up but don't spin.

I've tried:

- disabling HWInfo

- unchecking "Corsair and Asetek support" in HWInfo settings

- clean reinstalling iCue (including registry edits)

- rebooting

- closing iCue and restarting it

There is no Performance tab in iCue, only Graphing, Lighting Setup, and Lighting Channel 1.

Would appreciate help on what to do. I've attached the system info and log output.

Thanks!

Logs.zip

I noticed something potentially odd in USBDeview for the rows that I assume are the fans.

There are 3 rows called "0000.0014.0000.005.000.000.000.000.000". Of those, 2 are green and are on the 3.08 firmware.

Another row has the same name, but is gray and on the 2.05 firmware.

Still stranger, yet another row whose Device Name is "Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB Keyboard" has the same product ID as the first 2 rows, 1b33, and is also on the 3.08 firmware.

Are things getting mixed up?

I've attached the info on the Corsair rows from USBDeview.

corsair_items.txt

Quick correction, I meant to say the firmware of the CoPro is at 0.8.210. Instead I reported the firmware version of my keyboard.

This also may answer my last question; I'm guessing that the 1b33 product ID is for the keyboard?

The only other thing that I can suggest is to check for HWInfo and make sure that the persistent driver is unloaded. HWInfo is the most common cause of a disappearing performance tab. But the non-spinning fans isn't common - they should be spinning. Are you able to see voltage readings, perhaps in the Dashboard?

I think, however, that you need a replacement for the CoPro - either by exchanging with the vendor or an RMA with Corsair.

Yup, that's the issue - there's nothing on the 3.3V rail. The MCU in the CoPro uses the 3.3V rail for power. Now power, no MCU.

We usually see this in CoPros that are powered from a Molex -> SATA adapter. Full on SATA direct from the PSU should have all three rails. The Molex connection only has 5V and 12V.

No - at this point, it's not likely that another CoPro would be any better.

Try a different SATA connector. Even on a different cable out of the PSU. If you are missing the 3.3V rail, it's just not going to work.

AND - that 3.3V rail? Yeah, it's part of the SATA spec. What PSU are you using?

The PSU is a Seasonic SnowSilent 650 Platinum.

I'll try with various SATA cable combinations. I've already tried it on 2 different SATA cables (no adapter, direct to PSU) and no change in behavior so far.

No luck yet- I tried hooking the CoPro up to another PSU I had and nothing turned on, so that is odd but I don't think it's the CoPro's fault?

One thing I noticed on the CoPro's SATA connector is that the tab is broken off. I don't see any electrical wires on that part- it just looks like plastic came off- but perhaps that's causing an issue?

It occurs to me that there is another possibility - the 3.3V line on the CoPro might also be bad/not soldered correctly etc.

At this point, you've tried different SATA cables and are sure that it's direct to SATA ... try an exchange of the CoPro.

No luck yet- I tried hooking the CoPro up to another PSU I had and nothing turned on, so that is odd but I don't think it's the CoPro's fault?

One thing I noticed on the CoPro's SATA connector is that the tab is broken off. I don't see any electrical wires on that part- it just looks like plastic came off- but perhaps that's causing an issue?

The tab? On the side? It shouldn't but that is odd.

To close this out, I just installed a new CoPro from Amazon and everything works beautifully!

The fans immediately started spinning after I turned my computer on, and are now set up in iCue. The Performance tab stays there and I see about 3.36 V on the 3.3 rail.

The old CoPro is still within the Amazon return window and I'll send it back tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help!