Corsair Community

P4C800 Deluxe -- what memory?

pmcintire

Okay, I'm building up a system with a P4 3.0 HT processor, and an Asus P4C800 Delxue mobo. I'm not an overclocker, or a gamer-- I'm looking instead to build a highly stable high performance system for high end 3D and 2D graphical compositing and rendering and heavy NLE work. I've been kind of out of the loop as far as new mobo combos go these days. Trying to relearn things. My one main concern is that the Asus P4C800 QVL lists Corsair memory as not supporting Dual Channel mode for 4 sticks of memory -- and this is confusing to me. Does that mean that if I buy 1GB (2x512) right now, and add another 2 sticks later, that it won't recognize anymore than the original 1GB, or that it won't talk to all 4 sticks as dual channel? At the same time the ASUS QVL lists 3500 sticks instead of 3200, which Corsair recommends. This is all so confusing. I've also been looking through all the compatibility issues on these boards with CMX512-3200C sticks and the P4C800 as far as latency and timing issues go-- and this stuff is flying right over my head. I just want components that are going to plug together and turn on and work with stablity without a problem. Am I looking in the wrong direction? I've been considering just popping in Kingston ValueRAM as an alternative. Is accepting the challenge of customizing a system with high end Corsair components and the like too much for a techie, who just doesn't understand all of these OC principals? If someone can, please lead me in the right direction here. My thanks go out to you in advance.

• Corsair Employee
Well first off I would suggest that you get the amount of memory you paln on using and not try and upgrade later. So for 1.0 Gig with this MB and CPU I would suggest Twinx1024-3200LL and if you want 2.0 Gig of Ram Twinx2048-3200. And I would not suggest 4 modules with any MB using this chipset if you want to over clock.

Archived