Corsair Community

Msi-875p

Da_Teach

Hi, I own a MSI-875P with TWINX-PC3700 1024Mb memory and I'm having major memory problems, the system has a hard time booting up in anything but 'slow' mode... If I set it to anything but 'slow' mode, windows will crash on bootup... Even if I force the memory settings to 2.5/4/4/8 ... If I use SPD setting it seems to set memory to 2.5/4/4/7 which often gives a 'too tight memory settings' during post (figure that :P)... I've tried almost every bios there was (from 1.4 -> 1.9)... Where 1.8 was the worst (often I couldnt get it to boot beyond post)... And since a few days I've been getting memory read errors every so often... Memtest86 doesnt seem to give back errors (but havent done more then 2 runs)... I'll leave memtest running for a night, see if it returns an error then... These only happend I think since 1.9 bios btw... Although my CPU gets hot for a P4 (2.8Ghz, not overclocked anymore since I thought my instability was caused by that)... 55C under max load... It shouldnt give errors at that temp... Any idea what this could be? [edited] forgot to add memory type :D

• Corsair Employee
Honestly I think you are assuming that the MB you have is reading the SPD correctly and it is not. I would suggest that you test the modules on another MB to verify that but this is in fact an issue with the reference bios from Intel and many of the MB's with this chipset will do the same for the timings. You also might check the SPD with AIDA32, as that will tell you what's in the SPD and what the chipset is actually running at. But I would leave the performance mode set to auto or disable it and set the timings manually. With MSI, they will ignore the timings that are set either by SPD or what's set manually and run them according to the performance mode. I would set the timings manually to Cass 3-4-4-8 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and yo should be fine.

Sadly enough I dont have the luxery of testing on another MB... And I agree on the SPD settings (MSI is rather horrible with that and I'm not pleased with the MB)... As the system wont boot @ SPD settings... However, CPU-Z reports the memory is now running at 2.5, 4, 4, 8... So does AIDA32... I cant run the system at 3,4,4,8 as the BIOS doesnt have a 3-CAS Latency option :( I've been running full memtest86 tests (all tests) this night and in the 13 passes (10 hours of testin), I had 20 errors all in the +990Mb area and all errors on 00002000 bits .... Most errors (16) in test #8... The other 4 where in test #6... But no error started to surface untill pass 5-6... Now this was @ 'fast' mode of the MB, I'll try the same tests this night but then at 'slow' mode... But still looks an awefull lot like a memory problem :p Although if memory is running at 2.5,4,4,8 then slow/fast mode shouldnt really change anything... I tried running at SPD setting btw, but before I was through test #1 I had 1600+ errors, so figured out that wasnt exactly good ;) So I'm NOT running the memory at SPD as this has never worked... I'm running them at the slowest setting the BIOS allows (which is 2.5,4,4,8)...

Just finished a night running @ 'slow' mode... Memory still at 2.5,4,4,8 ... This time, in 8 passes (short night :p) I had over 280 errors, all in the +990Mb area, all on 00002000 bits... I'm going to call up the computer company which gave me the memory, see if I can exchange it there... But if this isnt a faulty memory, I dont know what is ....

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the bios version you have and I will see if they’re a way around this in their bios? Also please make sure that you have the latest version of bios, as there was a report of new beta bios that fixed this some time ago.

I'm running 1.9 (latest version) of their BIOS... How could this still be a BIOS issue? Other then the CAS-latency (2.5 vs 3) I cant see how the BIOS would generate errors only in the +990Mb area... Wouldnt it be logical that if it was a BIOS error (e.g. CAS-latency), that errors would show up across the entire 0-1024Mb area ? Instead of just the +990Mb? And different types of errors too, instead of just the 00002000 bits ? Could be wrong, but it would seem more logical to me...

Archived