Corsair Community

H50 Brand new rig high temps

alamakluke

Hello All,

I am noticing that many people are having high temps right from the start with this H50 cooler. :sigh!: Well so am I. My system just idle temps are quite high. CPU is 45-46C and my motherboard temp is pretty much the same. It seems that if one goes higher the other goes higher and if one goes lower the other one follows as well and that's with my sides of my case OFF. I am not overclocking yet, just trying to get me rig running stable at stock.

From what I've read, my CPU should be arround 33-35C on idle, any ideas on why it's so high? :(:

Just to add, I have the radiator fan plugged in myCPU Fan connector and the pump is plugged into CHA_FAN1 on the motherboard... Is that correct?

thanks in advance

Luc

First make sure your bios is not controlling voltage output to your cha1 fan header. You want 12v all the time for the pump which should run at approx. 1400 rpm. Its ok if your rad fan is controlled by the cpu temp but check your bios to make sure the fan runs full speed as your cpu gets to around 50c. You don't mention how the rad fan is set up but i have good cooling with a push/pull configuration.

Second make sure your pump is fully seated on your cpu, screws should be tightened down in a criss cross fashion until snug. Be carefull not to break the screws by over tightening. You might want to remove the pump and check the imprint in the thermal compound to make sure you are seating the pump evenly on the cpu. Some people change the compound, mine has worked good as i got it from corsair.

Just wanted to give all an update. I decided to plug in my pump directly to a MOLEX plug...since then my idle temps are 32-35C...that is 10C below what it was before. I also tighten the screws a bit...they are not tight tight, but not snug either.

Hopefully this helps out anyone.

Thanks

Luc

I'm starting to suspect that there is a very bad batch of pumps recently, as I've seen wave after wave of these posts coming up.

I've had a total of 4 H50s, 3 of which performed in the 30Cs at idle, the last one I bought from BestBuy maybe a month or two ago has been terrible - high 30 Cs, maxes out at 80Cs on Stock voltages and settings. It SHOULD LinX load at 60Cs like my other H50s.

Anyway, test your load temperatures, that's all that really matters. If you're running stock 930, you should not be hitting anywhere near 80 (or even 70Cs) unless your room is like 80F+

• Corsair Employee

MJinZ, It sounds like one of your units need to be replaced. You can use the "Request an RMA" link on the left of this page to start the RMA process. I have seen very few issues with pumps on the H50, most of the time (as in the case in this thread), the pump simply isn't getting full power.

If anyone is afraid that their pump isn't working properly, you should first try a different power header on the motherboard, or like alamakluke did, plug it directly into the PSU. If this effects the performance of the unit then there is likely a feature in the motherboard which is throttling the power being delivered to the motherboard power headers.

MJinZ, It sounds like one of your units need to be replaced. You can use the "Request an RMA" link on the left of this page to start the RMA process. I have seen very few issues with pumps on the H50, most of the time (as in the case in this thread), the pump simply isn't getting full power.

If anyone is afraid that their pump isn't working properly, you should first try a different power header on the motherboard, or like alamakluke did, plug it directly into the PSU. If this effects the performance of the unit then there is likely a feature in the motherboard which is throttling the power being delivered to the motherboard power headers.

Thanks, I am too lazy to RMA it lol. It's just sitting somewhere on my desk.

Update, now that my system temps are good, I decided to start to overclock this 930... I was able to get it stable at 4Ghz, I ran Prime 95 from 1 hour and my CPU temp did not go any higher than 72C.

I am pretty sure that is a good temp? On idle it's about 36-40C.

Any confirmation from anyone running the same specs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Archived