Corsair Community

2 sets of CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 have died

steinr98

I have 2 sets of 4GB 2x2GB sets of DDR3 ram. After a week to 10 days one set died. I ran Ubuntu memory test and one set failed (I'm not sure if both strips were bad or not). Returned and received a replacement. I ran the new Asus M4A89GTD PRO with Win 7 pro 64 bit for another 2 weeks. Then the other set of Memory died. I ran Mem86+ and found the orig. set had died. I know which set was which by the slots they were in. I have had my case open as I have had a problem. I don't have a case fan running as the case is open- could this be a problem of overheating. I don't have my MB overclocked that I know of. My Ram voltage is set at 1.640-1.656 I have had an error message that said, Hit F1 as overclocking failed?? This happened once or twice - I normally do not get this error message. I'm not overclocking ?? I have my ram speed set to 1600 as outlined in my MB manual. I'm trying to figure out why 2 sets of memory had died. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Steinr98

• Corsair Employee
Those modules are designed for a Core i5/i7 processor and may not run at the rated speeds and timings you may need to lower the memory frequency to 1333MHz as you may be getting errors on your memory controller since it may not handle 1600MHz.

Thanks for the quick reply!! I really don't know all that much about ram unfortunately.. I have been building for years tho.

1. My Motherboard chip set is a new product not as listed on Corsair's site-it is North Bridge AMD 890GX (new)- South Bridge AMD SB850. My book shows Quote:Dram O.C. Profile[DDR3-1600MHz]. This item appears only when you set the Ai Overclocker tuner item to [D.O.C.P.] and allows you to select a Dram O.C. profile which applies different settings to DRAM Freq., DRAM timing and DRAM voltage. Configuration options:[DDR3-1600MHz] [DDR3-1800MHz][DDR3-1866MHz].

Now- I had mine set to auto @1600 volts) not the D.O.C.P.. My system is very stable and never a problem set @ 1600HMz other than the fact I have had 2 sets go bad @ 1600MHz (runs @ 1.646-1.656 volts) which is more that the Dram listed below.

Hope you understand I'm not trying to correct you in any way but trying to give you all the information I can!! I do notice the DRAM listed for this Motherboard plus the old chip set uses DRAM3 TW3X4G1333C9DHX Listed at 1.5Volts This Dram is listed to run @ 1333 as stated. I don't know how much speed I loose from 1600 to 1337 ?? but is it that much ? My Motherboard is listed as M4A89GTD PRO/USB which I misstated earlier.. The /usb is new and has the new chip set. Thanks again for your help- Hope I have made things clear. When purchased, Newegg had this memory listed with this mother board ??

The Ram Guy: I just looked up the qualified Ram in the Asus book and both are listed... The 1333: Tw3X4G1333C9DHX and also the 1600MHz: (Which I purchased) CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (Book lists it as (XMP at the end of the number) So both are listed... Thanks!

steinr98

• 6 months later...

If I read the QVL correctly, only 2x2 = 4GB of this ram are supported on this mobo at 1600 Hz

I've got the same config and I'd love to clock it faster, but something is totally out of whack and I'm BSODing all over the map, even with 8 GB at 1300 and 1.65 volts with standard timing.

pc

sorry- was out of town- I returned the 2 sets of bad ram- replaced with 2 exactly the same- I'm running 8 gigs @ 1333 and it works fine. Pretty fast but not tops and I never overclock. I would replace with a different ram but hate to spend the $$$$ The person on this site told me I have the wrong ram as this is for Intel- I told him it is listed in my MBoard book. Never heard back from him. I called Asus and got the run around- no help but mombo jumbo... This board should take up to 12 or 16 gig I forget now... it has been awhile!! I have run this way and no problems since last Feb or March. Runs good!

steinr98

Archived