Corsair Community

Obsidian 800D and H50

HanoverCourt

I have a Corsair Obsidian 800D case delivery from Newegg tomorrow. I purchased it partly because of the case's air flow design. I am considering buying a H50 for cooling, but I have some concerns. Will the H50 radiator mount on the 140mm fan on the back of the case? Should I reverse the 140mm fan and then mount the H50 radiator and H 50's 120mm fan? Both of these fans would then bring air into the case. I am concerned that the well designed air flow of the 800D case will be messed up. Would it be advisable to install a 120mm fan in top of the 800D for more air flow?

I just built my computer with a Obsidian 800D case and H50 CPU cooler, and I removed the 140mm fan and swapped it with the 120mm fan. The screw holes match right up with the 120mm fan and the radiator, I am not sure if the 140mm fan would work with it, but I am not sitting in front of the computer as I write this. I also added a noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 to the top of the case for an external blowing fan since I could not install the 140mm fan to the top and the optimal configuration is to have the H50 120mm fan blowing in, so I do have a 140mm fan that is not being used. Hope that helps.

• Corsair Employee
The rear fan mount has holes for a 140mm or a 120mm fan. Adding exhaust fans to the top of the case would definitely improve cooling, but its not mandatory. Of course there will be varying opinions on what acceptable temperatures would be for any given component, and some may insist in using top mounted exhaust fans.

Thank you all for your informative replies----after reading them I went over to the local Microcenter and purchased the H50 and two 120mm fans for my 800D case. I plan to remove the rear 140mm fan and replace it with the 120mm fan that is part of the H50 kit. The installation instructions provided with the H50 kit are well done. For the time being, I plan to install one 120mm fan in the top rear of the case.

The rear fan mount has holes for a 140mm or a 120mm fan. Adding exhaust fans to the top of the case would definitely improve cooling, but its not mandatory. Of course there will be varying opinions on what acceptable temperatures would be for any given component, and some may insist in using top mounted exhaust fans.

it may not be manditory but its common sense. you NEED exhaust fans just as much as intake fans. fit the h50 on the back fan, flip it for intake. have the 3 exhaust fans on the top.

If anything I think that reversing the rear fan into an intake would actually help your airflow and prevent negative airpressure from building up in the case (or well, rather just preventing air and dust from coming in through the vents and holes in the case).

Install some top fans to quickly transport the warm air from the intake out of the case. Problem is, the rear fan does not have a dust filter.

I built my system today ----I had some problems installing the HD50--the unit is working properly,however, the heatsink is not seated 100% under the black tabs---so I am going to reinstall it---I am going to use Arctic Clean 1 and 2 to prepare the heatsink and the cpu heatspreader----how should I apply the Arctic Silver 5? Just to the heatsink? Just to the cpu heatspreader? Please advise.

• Corsair Employee
I built my system today ----I had some problems installing the HD50--the unit is working properly,however, the heatsink is not seated 100% under the black tabs---so I am going to reinstall it---I am going to use Arctic Clean 1 and 2 to prepare the heatsink and the cpu heatspreader----how should I apply the Arctic Silver 5? Just to the heatsink? Just to the cpu heatspreader? Please advise.

Instructions for each of Arctic Silvers products can be found here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Thank you Ram Guy. I have reinstalled the HD50 according to Arctic Silver's insructions.The reinstallation went very smoothly. I already had the PDF instructions printed out for Arctic Clean and Arctic Silver 5. The unit is working properly with very good idle and load temperatures.

Archived