Corsair Community

620HQ Very hot and slow fan ?

WalkI

Hi. I recently acquired the new power supply from Corsair - HX620, but I have problems with temperature. The overall system and components temperature has risen about 5 degress of Celsius after installing it. The internal fan seems to spin really slow and there is almost no flow of air from the rear of the power supply. If I stress the PC with Prime95, games or 3DMark the system gets very hot and the power supply itself too. After hour or so I can barely hold a hand on the power supply, casing because of its temperature. There has no other component changed than this power supply.

My former power supply had constant fan speed on its 120mm fan and with the same PC system it was almost cool after benchmarks and all temperatures were ca 5 degrees lower than now.

Is something wrong with my piece of HX620? I am afraid that after a longer time the power supply will eventually burn itself down.

Thanks for help.

The internal fan seems to spin really slow and there is almost no flow of air from the rear of the power supply.

That is typical operation since the fan controller allows the 120mm fan to spin <1000 RPM when the load is <300W. I'd test the psu outside of the case to see if it is still "overheating" since it sounds like you may have an internal case cooling issue.

I will test it outside of the case then.

To the internal case cooling issue. I use quite common setup these days. 1 120MM fan in the front to blow cool air inside and at the rear I have 120MM to help the power supply with getting the hot air away from the case. My GFX card has Arctic Cooling silencer, which also blows the hot air immediately to the outside, so there is not much of heat in the case done by my GFX card. Until I exchanged the power supply I was really happy with such cooling setup.

I am starting to think of exchanging Corsair for other power supply with constant fan rotation or with controllable speed. Because as I can see the fan in the HX620 can get only faster when I load it with other components. Exchanging the fan would be other option but I do not like to loose the 5 years warranty. I do not understand why Corsair chose to control the speed of the fan not by temperature but by the PSU load instead. I stopped being excited about this Corsair PSU and I am rather feeling dumb that I should take other brand. :evil:

Archived