Corsair Community

H110i GT temps a little bit too high?

biosmanager

Hey guys,

so I recently built my new rig (specs in user cp) and installed the Corsair H110i GT with two Blacknoise PK-PS 140 mm fans.

I'm a little worried about the temps I get. They don't seem extremely high but also not in the range I was expecting.

So I ran AIDA 64 stress test for an hour. You can see the results in the screenshots provided.

I also have a Asus ROG Front Base and it showed around 53 degrees after 30 and 60 minutes.

I noticed huge gaps between the different monitoring tools. I made sure to uninstall Asus AI Suite before taking the stress test.

Are these temps normal for the H110i GT? I expected temps under 50 degrees under full load.

Isn't that water temp a bit too high? When gaming for around 2 hours I experienced much higher water temp around 51 degrees.

Is my unit faulty?

Please help me as I am worried.

aida_64_30_min.thumb.jpg.55b97eb2d44ebe7a663a8ca7316900b4.jpg

aida_64_60_min.thumb.jpg.08b0ae29641acd602c87781d4764c99a.jpg

I experienced much higher water temp around 51 degrees.

There's no way the WATER temp is 51c. CPU yes...coolant temp, no.

With this in mind, make a custom fan curve using the coolant temp+ fan speed.

If it is really saying the coolant temp reaches 51c, RMA it. The coolant should be somewhere between 25c and 35c (idle /load) give or take.

look at the screenshots,

42c was after 1 hour aida 64 stress test, so full load, cpu temp around 55c in corsair link, different temps in different programs

51c was after 2 hours of witcher 3, i think i will try to reproduce that again, it was before i uninstalled asus ai suite

You can make a custom fan curve. It's based around the coolant temp though, not cpu temp.

Assuming your ambient temperature isn't too bad, try something like 25% fan speed at 28c and below, 30%fan speed at 30c, 40% at 31c, 50% at 32c etc.

More than 2000rpm in my experience does little and is noisy.

51C is high for a water temperature, but it's not out of bounds. Water temperature is typically affected by length of time under load, not short intense bursts. Your pump appears to be running and the issue seems to be in play while gaming, not stress tests. That suggests GPU load may play a factor. How did you set up the GT? Intake or exhaust? There are some things to look at, but first put your fan curves back to run off water temperature. You can't run off CPU temp in LINK. It is non-functional at the moment.

I noticed your minimum CPU temperatures are in the upper 30's. If it is 30C in your room, then that would explain it and the possibly 51C water temp. However, I expect it's not quite that warm in there. Your load temperatures aren't bad, by comparison my 5820K stays under 50C at stock settings in a 24C room with an H110. My actual CPU temps are just under you by 1-3C, but that's at 4.4@1.28V. With high idle and load temps, the first thing to check is whether the block is making good contact. 2011/3 is usually pretty easy, but sometimes one screw doesn't go down smoothly and creates that tiny little gap.

I also noticed your strap reads 125. By chance, did you enable the XMP setting on the memory and then leave everything else alone? Despite the fact that is no longer needed, the BIOS will default you to the 125 strap at 2666 MHz and above RAM speed. You will want to manually enter the values and set the strap to 100, but that is more ancillary to this issue. That 125 strap will change some other values as well and in this case the auto voltage looks like it's dropping on a little too much because of the altered CPU frequency.

That was my thoughts. the coolant shouldn't reach that temp.

You can't make blanket statements like this. The water temperature is room temp + cpu waste heat + system waste heat. There is no proper water temperature limit and what is an acceptable reading for an 18C room isn't the same as a 30C environment. Two of those three values are unknown and no steps have been taken to try and ascertain whether the 51C water temp was a legitimate reading or a software monitoring glitch. In fact, no analysis of any type has been discussed. The huge disparity between that number and the 1hr prime water temps should be raising concerns that something else may be responsible, unless you believe the water temperature ran 10C warmer with less than half the CPU load. It's certainly possible the unit is defective, but nothing you have provided so far suggests a flow problem and none of the typical questions have been asked.

You can do whatever you like, but I would at least take 5 minutes to make sure the block is seated properly before you RMA the unit and donate $25 to UPS. Any other issues, if present, will still be there when you get the next unit. Incidentally, you are about 0.14V over the stock voltage on your Prime run in the data provided. Certainly well within safe limits and not responsible for the high idle, but do take that into account when comparing temperatures.

You can't make blanket statements like this. The water temperature is room temp + cpu waste heat + system waste heat. There is no proper water temperature limit and what is an acceptable reading for an 18C room isn't the same as a 30C environment. Two of those three values are unknown and no steps have been taken to try and ascertain whether the 51C water temp was a legitimate reading or a software monitoring glitch. In fact, no analysis of any type has been discussed. The huge disparity between that number and the 1hr prime water temps should be raising concerns that something else may be responsible, unless you believe the water temperature ran 10C warmer with less than half the CPU load. It's certainly possible the unit is defective, but nothing you have provided so far suggests a flow problem and none of the typical questions have been asked.

You can do whatever you like, but I would at least take 5 minutes to make sure the block is seated properly before you RMA the unit and donate $25 to UPS. Any other issues, if present, will still be there when you get the next unit. Incidentally, you are about 0.14V over the stock voltage on your Prime run in the data provided. Certainly well within safe limits and not responsible for the high idle, but do take that into account when comparing temperatures.

Sigh...

You aren't saying anything I don't know. Let me rephrase. Under proper circumstances, coolant temp hitting 51c is not normal. Hitting 41c is getting warm.

51C is high for a water temperature, but it's not out of bounds. .

Ops pics show water temp of 41c which for an hour of stressing isnt terribly bad.Id determine how long it took to reach 41c,also consider the cooling layout,things appear to be working so some fine tuning could help as it may be getting saturated too soon.

The SP on your fans may be a determining factor also as they seem a bit low for hydro's

The hydro certainly imho doesn't need replacing...

Sigh...

You aren't saying anything I don't know. Let me rephrase. Under proper circumstances, coolant temp hitting 51c is not normal. Hitting 41c is getting warm.

No, you can't tell someone their cooler is broken because their water temp hits 42C. Someone in a tropical locale will read it and think their cooler isn't functioning properly, even though it's 33C in their room.

41C is enough to start asking questions, but no one is doing that. Just making blanket statements. 41C for an hour of Prime at 100% load. Allegedly 51C for gaming with a program that uses 40% CPU load. Quite a few other questions to ask and since the water appears to be flowing, finding out why it's getting so warm should be a priority, but you can't help everybody.

okay, so i got a new cooler, installed the stock fans

temps seem to be a little better

normal stress testing without gpus, water temps stays under 40c

when gaming (gta v), again, water temp reached around 48 degrees

is it the graphics cards that heat up the water that much? i run two gtx 980 ti, asus strix

they are factory OC and get quite warm, as several reviews confirm

so what do you think?

No, you can't tell someone their cooler is broken because their water temp hits 42C. Someone in a tropical locale will read it and think their cooler isn't functioning properly, even though it's 33C in their room.

41C is enough to start asking questions, but no one is doing that. Just making blanket statements. 41C for an hour of Prime at 100% load. Allegedly 51C for gaming with a program that uses 40% CPU load. Quite a few other questions to ask and since the water appears to be flowing, finding out why it's getting so warm should be a priority, but you can't help everybody.

K we've established you are a big fan of common sense and pointing out the obvious. Moving on.

If we really have to make sure it's understood a retardedly high ambient temperature will make for high temps, my bad.

If you weren't so busy calling me wrong you might see 51c coolant temp is way way way out side of normal.

K we've established you are a big fan of common sense and pointing out the obvious. Moving on.

If we really have to make sure it's understood a retardedly high ambient temperature will make for high temps, my bad.

If you weren't so busy calling me wrong you might see 51c coolant temp is way way way out side of normal.

I would suggest broadening your understanding before stamping your opinion over every thread in the forum, particularly issues that have already been resolved. At the very least, try to be helpful. Since the new cooler has the same issue, the original poster is right back at beginning, minus shipping, and still needs assistance.

It is unusual for the water temperature to be significantly higher under gaming load compared to a full CPU load stress test. Since they don't share the cooling system, the only way this can happen is if the GPU and other system waste heat is raising the internal case temperature to that 51C. Either the case fans you have are unable to evacuate the heat, or more likely, the heat is is unable to leave the general outer case area and you have a hot spot in and around your case. You mentioned in an earlier post the water temperature increased throughout the day. Is the case in a cabinet, stuck under desk, or squeezed into a corner where heat can't escape the general area, particularly the top vent?

the case is placed on a podest, so absolutely nothing blocks the airflow

again, temps seem fine, maybe a little bit on the warm side

could it be that simply the temperature sensors detect higher temperatures?

i think in the end the heat source are the gpus, they get really warm with the factory oc

without the gpus active water temp seems normal again, i ran some minutes of core damage with full performance for the fans and water temp was around 36c

i'm a little bit angry now^^ nothing helps eliminating the issues

i ran the new unit a few hours now and while doing normal things water temp floats around 36c

i played a little bit of GTA V and boom, water temp raised to 48c

but honestly, i don't know where this hot spot should be, take a look at this picture:

http://pic.sysprofile.de/images/juy10284.jpg

this is with the old unit, now i placed the power connector for the upper grapics card similar to the bottom one

i also replaced the front 200mm fan with two 140mm

what i am asking myself: is this really something i should bother about? well, the cpu temps seem fine, don't they?

help^^

I think you are right, the heat source is the GPU's. Each one pulls more wattage than your CPU. However, since there are a lot people besides you and me running SLI, if this was completely normal everyone with a LINK controlled system would be in this forum complaining their radiators fans run 100% while gaming and it's too loud. The 100% fan temp is somewhere back near 40C by default.

Your set-up looks really nice. Lets go back to scenario #1 for a minute - the case can't get the air out. The H110 fans are set to exhaust? The rear fan is set to exhaust? It appears that way in the picture, but I can't quite see it exactly. If so, that should be enough. For comparison, what does AI suite, HW Monitor, or anything else report as your motherboard temperature while gaming? What about HDD or SDD temperatures? You can use those as comparison to the water temperature. I am curious whether the temps are relatively uniform or if the radiator is an actual hot spot. I was open to the possibility there was a sensor error on the water temp, but it's in the unit and to have two in a row seems a bit of a stretch. I would also expect it to be erratic, rather than consitently imprecise. The same thing with water flow. Two units in a row are low odds, as long as the the pump is getting it's 12V from the BIOS (and AI Suite if installed).

Since I have GTA V and we have very similar hardware, I'll offer this up as data. My two Asus Strix 970's run a near linear 62/58C while GTA V is active, with a +150MHz overclock. With the 5820K at 4.2 or 4.4@1.285V, my CPU temps run steady in the mid 40's. On rare occasion I get a momentary spike that will take them over 50C, but it resembles a program stutter and lasts less than second. Motherboard temps almost never go over 31C, even in a 27C Summertime room. Unfortunately, since I have the old H110 without LINK, I can't give you water temps. However, if my water temps were 48-51C, I would not be able to hold the 44-48C CPU temp line that I consistently do and when exiting the program, my new CPU temp baseline would stay near the water temperature reading. Mine drop back into the mid 30's immediately on exit. Use AIDA to monitor if you still have it. I think the line graphs make it a lot easier to discern true operating temperatures versus a peak. You mentioned in the original post, AI Suite was uninstalled. Be aware AIDA and AI SUite often cross paths in their monitoring. On mine, it produces a 216C VRM spike once every 5 minutes or so, but all other temperature data appears valid.

As for whether this should worry you, I am not sure. I guess we can your GTA V data against mine and see if your CPU temps are affected by the issue. If you decide to try and lvie with it, you may prefer to ditch LINK and run your H110 fans from the motherboard. The Asus will allow you to run fan speed from CPU temperature, rather than water temperature. That may reduce some fan blasting and give a little peace of mind.

Archived