Corsair Community

TX650 strange noise

GabrielKnight

I'm having a weird noise coming from my TX650 psu unit. It looks like a piece of plastic hitting the fan, but it does it even when it is not spinning, so it's not the case

This is the noise (not recorded by me):

[ame]

[/ame]

or here

http://www.bigupload.com/en/file/83316/stemme0002.mp3.html

It usually starts after 15-30 minutes after I'm stressing my machine, with HD movies or games (I have a Sapphire 7970 video card).

The PSU doesn't get very hot, and it keeps doing that noise even when I'm out of the game, for some minutes, then it stops.

Do you know if it is something that could damage other parts of my computer, or if it is best that I replace it with RMA?

Thanks!

Hi Gabrielknight, sorry, you posted this at 3.25 AM . Corsair is closed and the middle of the night here.

But anyway you issue is with the fan controller in the PSU.

It's not going to hurt any of your other components , but you should have it replaced. Please use the link on the left to request an RMA

Hi Gabrielknight, sorry, you posted this at 3.25 AM . Corsair is closed and the middle of the night here.

But anyway you issue is with the fan controller in the PSU.

It's not going to hurt any of your other components , but you should have it replaced. Please use the link on the left to request an RMA

Yes, I posted in the middle of the night, but 3 days ago :D:

Aniway, thanks for the answer. Today I received my replacement, installed it, and it makes the same noise!!!

I'll keep this, hoping it is ok

I would go ahead and have it RMA'd directly through Corsair. You can ask them to open it up and test it before shipping .

Also since this is a new unit be sure to let them know and ask for a shipping label. They will cover shipping costs on RMA's less than 30 days old. You can even ask for an advanced replacement so you don't have to be without a working system until then. Since this is the second one you have received from the same place , they may want to see that unit anyway.

Yes, I posted in the middle of the night, but 3 days ago

Sorry about the late response. I 'm not quite sure how It got overlooked .:o:

Sure thing, and let us know how things work out.

I still have not send an RMA request, because first I would like to know if it is really necessary. I mean, now I'm keeping this PSU.

You say that the clicking noise may not harm other parts.

But what can you tell me about this buzz?

I'll try to explain:

- it is a quiet buzzing sound, and it is not high pitched.

- I can hear it only by puttig an ear near the case (when it's closed) or the PSU. It is not boring.

- It starts only when the GPU is accelerating games, and it stops immediately when I quit the game.

- It changes tone costantly, like "bzeeeeee - zzzzzz - bzuuuuu", etc (:D:)

I know it's difficult to say, but do you have an idea?

I'd like to replace it only if it's necessary

You say that the clicking noise may not harm other parts.

Correct, and it wont harm your other components on it's own. I suggested an RMA because the clicking noise isn't normal, and could potentially be an issue with the fan controller. It's possible the fan wont run when needed. So just to be safe.....

I'll try to explain:

- it is a quiet buzzing sound, and it is not high pitched.

- I can hear it only by puttig an ear near the case (when it's closed) or the PSU. It is not boring.

- It starts only when the GPU is accelerating games, and it stops immediately when I quit the game.

- It changes tone costantly, like "bzeeeeee - zzzzzz - bzuuuuu", etc ()

I know it's difficult to say, but do you have an idea?

That sounds like what is known as "Coil whine" or buzz. Again, it's something that isn't an indication of a failing PSU. It's not uncommon, and normal for some amount of noise to be there. However it shouldn't be so loud that you can hear it over the rest of your system.

If you don't want to have it replaced now, thats okay. You have five years warranty, so you are covered if you change your mind.

Correct, and it wont harm your other components on it's own. I suggested an RMA because the clicking noise isn't normal, and could potentially be an issue with the fan controller. It's possible the fan wont run when needed. So just to be safe.....

That sounds like what is known as "Coil whine" or buzz. Again, it's something that isn't an indication of a failing PSU. It's not uncommon, and normal for some amount of noise to be there. However it shouldn't be so loud that you can hear it over the rest of your system.

If you don't want to have it replaced now, thats okay. You have five years warranty, so you are covered if you change your mind.

Thanks again for the reply :)

The buzz is quiet, I noticed it only because I was searching for noises. The fan works perfectly.

Do you have an idea why it only starts when the grahics card starts working? For example, I'm on the desktop, I launch a game, and it starts making the buzz. The moment I click "quit to desktop", it stops.

I have a very demanding video card (7970), so this could be the cause?

• 1 month later...

I have this exact problem and it is very annoying.

I RMA'd my first one due to the computer shutting down. They sent me a second one and it was doing this buzzing. I didn't bother to do anything about it for 9 months and lived with it. I just recently RMA'd it and the BRAND new one I got does it also.

I CAN hear it over the rest of my components. I am going to have to eat the advance deposit charge because Corsair would not pay for return shipping and the shipping will be nearly 1/3-1/2 the cost of shipping it back. Since it is just annoying and not broken I may as well use it in another family member's box.

Is there anything I can do? Could Corsair send me a different model? If one of the Corsair support staff could chime in I'd really appreciate it.

Archived