Corsair Community

CML8GX3M2A1600C9 will NOT run at 1600Mhz!

wungun

On a Gigabyte GA-A85X-D3H (which is not a GA-F2A85X-D3H...they don't list this model!) and AMD A10 APU. 1333Mhz is all she will do. Setting XMP to profile 1 (1600) will not boot. Manually setting multiplier to 16X100Mhz, will not boot.

Looked for BIOS update but cant this the board on GB website!

Whats going on?

Since i have an A85X-D3H as well, i can tell you this is a pre-production model and many settings in the BIOS are broken including XMP support; at least on my board with BIOS E1. If you really want to get DDR3-1600 you have to use a kit that has a basic JEDEC profile for that and even then the timings will be somewhat off.

http://mods.hardwareluxx.de/emissary42/mainboardpix/e42gigabytegaa85xd3hcpuz.png

Contact me via PM if you have questions regarding the MB beyond that :)

Thank you, i will compare them in software and see if there are differences.

If you want to give DDR3-1600 another shot with your A85X-D3H, you need to find a kit that is listed with SPD Speed DDR3-1600 at the Corsair product page. Otherwise any kit specced DDR3-1600 CL11 1.50V is probably alright.

I noticed the bios I backed up is 4MB....

All of the related boards on the website are 8MB....?

Some are the same between models as well.

Do they 8MB ones contain bootblock and other info as well, and my backup does not....?

I bet if you use an old flash utility, you can force one of these BIOS files to take! If you feel like gambling :)

It might actually cheaper to buy a new board than new RAM....?

Yeah, you're probably right about that.

If you were located in Germany i would have offered you a trade into something thats actually working ::pirate:: :biggrin:

I noticed the bios I backed up is 4MB.... All of the related boards on the website are 8MB....?

I might be wrong but they probably used smaller ROMs for the A85X-D3H, because the UEFI GUI and some other modules were not ready yet and so the resulting file was just small enough to fit into 4MB. Basically because it is a preproduction model, it would never needed to be upgraded with a graphical user interface and additional/larger ROMs.

I guess we are both stuck then. At least i also have a fully working Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 for my FM2 needs :!oops:

If you ever want to part ways with your A85X-D3H or have another question regarding the board other than this memory issue, just send me a PM.

I've been in touch with Gigabyte support...

First, they told me that the name of the board I gave them didn't exist...after I told them EXACTLY the same thing!!! lol

Finally sent them an image of the BIOS screen and screen-print on the board itself.

Maybe they'll be able to find a bios file that's compatible...

Afterall, they probably have a dozen boards with that socket/chipset!

I don't think the official e-support can help you with that. A pre-production model like the A85X-D3H didn't ever exist in any retail channel and therefore is probably not even in their system. Wherever you got that board from, they were probably not allowed by Gigabyte to sell these things in the first place; and thats not only because of all the broken functionality.

Even if there was another almost identical FM2 retail model, because of the issue with the difference in ROM size cross-flashing wouldn't be possible.

I personally wouldn't do it, because it is probably easier to just get another used FM2 model. The sell as low as 10 to 20 bucks in Europe at the bay and that way you get rid of all the hardware level functional problems as well (that even a successful cross-flash wouldn't remove).

If you're going to try it anyways, then best of luck!

Archived