Corsair Community

Corsair Crystal 280x HDD temperature

nu11set

Hello, u can help me.. i have 2xHDD seagate 6TB in raid0 in idle time show 52-55C temperature. I found out that this case does not blow air around the HDD, in addition, the case of the 3.5 basket does not receive heat from the HDD, the case for the HDD is made of plastic, thus it does not transfer heat to the metal basket. How fix it ? My PC have BSOD (many times in day).

Isn't this a warranty incident? how can there be such a not cheap case, have such sores? I took out the HDD for the test and put it on the floor (outside from case), the temperature decreased by 10-15 degrees !!!

Hi, I have the same case but not the same issue with temps. You have not put any additional information to enable others to offer some advice like what else you have in the case.

I spent a fair bit of time on my fan set up creating a few custom curves which I can apply to individual fans to allow me to apply each curve to my chosen fan position, I have 2 140's in the roof 2 120's in the front and 2 120's in the floor of the case.

I have an 850w PSU sat under the hard drives and have never seen the HDD temps get much over 40C. The case will put air where you create the conditions for it to flow. By controlling air pressure in your case in different areas you control where it pushes or pulls.

My Rad is in the roof which is arguably not the best place and I removed the dust filter as it's an exhaust and Im only concerned with sucking dust in and don't care about it being blown out. Under load the fan nearest the front of the case in the roof (exhaust) has a more aggressive curve than the rear fan, as does the front fan in the base (intake) and the upper fan in the front (intake) this causes cool air to create positive pressure in the front half of my case which decreases toward the rear of the case which is also at a positive air pressure albeit a bit lower than the front. That way I get more cool air which has not been heated by my GPU out through the front half of the rad.

That additional air pressure at the front half of the case is encouraged upward and rearward by virtue of pressure. Which also means some of the heat form my GPU flows naturally form the rear unblown exhaust in the case as well as out through the slots in the GPU case mounting plate. If too much positive air pressure exists in the GPU area it will vent through the HDD exhaust warming up the drives as it passes through.

I have no fan on the side vent adjacent to the PSU and I have my case facing me side on with that side about an inch from the wall so really mine should be a little impeded but it has not been an issue. I'm running an i7 10700K overclocked to 5.1ghz so it's not like I have a particularly cool running CPU installed. My motherboard is a Z490G which is a really snug fit in this case with a 280 rad and fans installed.

If I set all my RGB to run on temps, green trough to red I can apply a load to my system and start and stop the load to get an idea how quickly the heat leaves the case and experiment with my fan settings and monitor six or more temperature zones to see where heat is gathering. And how fast it dissipates. My fans are controlled by a commander pro which also has 4 NTC's which are placed in my chosen zones as well as the Mobo temps which also show in icue.

Your case is static box incable of controlling heat beyond convection which is where the human comes into play by way of creating conditions in the case with the deployment of additional hardware. Adding any hardware which is not a cooling item will generate heat and then it creates the puzzle of how to manage that heat. I'm sure there are many folk smarter than I on here that if provided with more info about your system could offer you great advice re getting your HDD temps lower.

Regards

Tim

1088291361_PCRGB.thumb.jpg.a86a0c787fceadab2317c1b5b8846c5c.jpg

The fact is that I also have an 850 watt PSU (seasonic prime) it does not even heat up under load, its temperature is 30С. Everything cold except HDD, i.e. even the fan on the side panel is not a fact that will help, it is necessary that it be strained to the HDD. And once again I say, HDD do not give off heat to the basket. because holder for HDD - plastic. need another basket or make contact HDD with basket.

If you are convinced that the heat shunt facilitated by having a metal basket will tip things to a point where the temps are manageable, perhaps find another way of attaching copper heat shunts to the drives unless you plan on whipping them in and out regularly. Without looking I can't remember how great the surface contact would amount to were the baskets to be metal when the carriages slide into the frame. lol on the other hand I couldn't resist pulling one out. The carriages have runners formed into them to help them slide in and out so metal ones would need to gain greater surface contact to shunt any meaningful amount of heat. Maybe get some copper sheet and fold it in a vice to form your own carriages if your convinced that the heat shunt from metal carriages would make enough difference. As Infin1tum has suggested a cheeky little fan zip tied in would offer a possible solution. Personally I anticipate that the heat shunt option would not yield a sufficient drop in temps for the effort incurred. For the case parts around the drives to be efficient at drawing heat away they'd have to have a natural thermal ability to pull heat once they equalise with the temperature of the drives meaning they'd have to dump heat elsewhere and radiate it efficiently. I don't personally see obvious routes that will be sufficiently cooler to encourage the heat to run anywhere. I'll keep watching to see what you come up with. Edited by Phrasemaker