Corsair Community

500D SE RGB + H150i Pro RGB -- do I need new fans?

m0wm0w

Hi, I've been reading a lot of posts but just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

I have the RGB versions of the Obsidian 500D SE case and the H150i Pro CPU cooler.

The case comes pre-installed with 3 LL120 RGB fans. The cooler has 3 ML120 RGB fans.

According Zotty's RGB Hardware and iCue FAQ published in January 2018, "You can NOT mix fan types on the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub." I've gathered from other threads that one reason is because their RGB won't sync properly.

So, since I want my fans to sync, I'm going to buy three more ML120 RGB fans -- two on the top and one on the back. Is that right? Or will the LLs sync with the MLs?

My plan is to remove the pre-installed LL120s, install the cooler in the front and then install 2 ML120s on the top and 1 ML120 on the back.

So, since I want my fans to sync, I'm going to buy three more ML120 RGB fans -- two on the top and one on the back. Is that right? Or will the LLs sync with the MLs?

No, ^^^ this is the thing you are trying to avoid. It is possible to combine ML + LL fans on the same circuit, but since they have different LED counts (4 vs 16) they will behave differently with moving patterns. You always can make it do single colors or basic effects in sync, but that likely isn't much fun and I don't recommend it for people just starting out with the RGB programming.

The H150i does not come with ML-RGB fans. They are standard ML-Quiet in plain grey. That means you are looking for 6 ML-RGB or just 3 more LL fans to finish off the back.

No, ^^^ this is the thing you are trying to avoid. It is possible to combine ML + LL fans on the same circuit, but since they have different LED counts (4 vs 16) they will behave differently with moving patterns. You always can make it do single colors or basic effects in sync, but that likely isn't much fun and I don't recommend it for people just starting out with the RGB programming.

The H150i does not come with ML-RGB fans. They are standard ML-Quiet in plain grey. That means you are looking for 6 ML-RGB or just 3 more LL fans to finish off the back.

Thanks, c-attack! Yeah, I found out the hard way that the H150i doesn't have RGB fans -- just the pump head is RGB. Womp womp.

And thank you for your explanation re: the LED counts! I knew they wouldn't sync right, but I didn't know why.

So, what I've chosen to do is return the H150i and go full ML: I bought a H115i RGB Platinum (two 140mm ML fans) and 4 120mm ML fans -- 3 in the front and 1 for exhaust.