Corsair Community

Mixing LL120 and QL120 fans

Shynobi

Hello!

So I know that it's not recommended to mix fan types within the same channel, but currently I have three LL120 fans and I want to add six QL120 fans.

I was wondering if it is okay to connect the three LL120s to their own RGB hub and the six QL120s to their own RGB hub, for a total of two RGB hubs? And would I be able to sync all of them in iCUE using a Commander Pro?

Thank you!

That you certainly can do. As long as each set of LL/QL are on their own device/controller, they will operate exactly as expected. However, there is one little catch.

Right now you likely are using the RGB Lighting Hub from the LL120 set and that then connects to the Commander in RGB channel 1. This is fine. However, to connect the QL to RGB channel 2, you need another RGB Lighting Hub. They are cheap at around $10 USD, but you have to find one and that can be more difficult. This matters because the QL come with a new and slightly different power path for the QL. The LL used the Node Pro (or Commander) + RGB Hub. The QL come with the Lighting Node Core. That is the Node Pro + RGB Hub in 1 device, but only for fans (6 max) and only 1 channel. The Core connects to the system via USB 2, just like a Commander but it won't connect to the RGB hub. All this really means is when you look in CUE, the LL will be on the Commander under channel 1 and the 6 QL will on the Core in a separate tab.

You only need to buy another RGB Hub if you really want the QL on the same device as the LL. The only real reason I can think for doing this is if you wanted to force a particular order for Global Lighting Link moving patterns like Visor or Color Wave. When both sets of fans are on the Commander, it will go Ch 1, then Ch 2. If you use the Core device, it will go before the Commander. However, since the LL can also go on the Core and the QL can go on the RGB Lighting Hub + Commander, you can still control the order. This is a non-issue for most people.

See the following guide for more info or to put pictures with the names.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

That you certainly can do. As long as each set of LL/QL are on their own device/controller, they will operate exactly as expected. However, there is one little catch.

Right now you likely are using the RGB Lighting Hub from the LL120 set and that then connects to the Commander in RGB channel 1. This is fine. However, to connect the QL to RGB channel 2, you need another RGB Lighting Hub. They are cheap at around $10 USD, but you have to find one and that can be more difficult. This matters because the QL come with a new and slightly different power path for the QL. The LL used the Node Pro (or Commander) + RGB Hub. The QL come with the Lighting Node Core. That is the Node Pro + RGB Hub in 1 device, but only for fans (6 max) and only 1 channel. The Core connects to the system via USB 2, just like a Commander but it won't connect to the RGB hub. All this really means is when you look in CUE, the LL will be on the Commander under channel 1 and the 6 QL will on the Core in a separate tab.

You only need to buy another RGB Hub if you really want the QL on the same device as the LL. The only real reason I can think for doing this is if you wanted to force a particular order for Global Lighting Link moving patterns like Visor or Color Wave. When both sets of fans are on the Commander, it will go Ch 1, then Ch 2. If you use the Core device, it will go before the Commander. However, since the LL can also go on the Core and the QL can go on the RGB Lighting Hub + Commander, you can still control the order. This is a non-issue for most people.

See the following guide for more info or to put pictures with the names.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Ahh I see, so I could keep the LL120s on the RGB hub and then just use the supplied Core with the QL120 and still have them all in sync for a pattern like Arc?

But also say if I use two Cores, one for LL120s and one for QL120s, would I still get the same outcome as the case above?