Corsair Community

Corsair RM-850W - Not turning on PC

Redydemon

Good evening all,

Short story long:

I had just bought all the neccesary component to put on a new built. Unfortunately, upon completion I need to evidence the fact that the MB seems to receive some power (the anbient LED's are on). I tried to power it on and it does nothing (the PSU makes a "click" sound).

I tried to isolate and detach any major consumer (GPU, HDD, SSD, etc.) and leave just the MB+CPU+RAM, the same result.

I also tried the paperclip test with the PSU and does the same "click" sound. Also, because is a Silent Op PSU I thought to make the paperclip test with a fan, in order to observ if it will run, unfortunately is not (same click noise).

Also, tried without the 24pins power cable (because is modular) and directly into the PSU (same "click" noise).

Is the PSU dead DOA or I am totaly going crazy?

• Corsair Employee

The "click" noise is the in-rush current limiter relay.

List all of your parts, please.

If you have just the PSU, motherboard (which I would not have mounted in the case during troubleshooting in case it's shorting out somewhere) and CPU, the CPU fan should at least spin... assuming you have a run of the mill CPU fan and not an AIO or something.

Unfortunately, nothing is moving.

I used also the paperclip test with the PSU and it has the same flauds. Also, adding an external consumer as a fan, the fan won't budge.

The MB+CPU+RAM was taken out of the case, in case of any shorts and positioned on a nonconductable surface. The same result, MB lights up before pressing the power button, the moment I press POWER ON, the PSU just clicks and it is dead.

Edited by Redydemon

The "click" noise is the in-rush current limiter relay.

List all of your parts, please.

If you have just the PSU, motherboard (which I would not have mounted in the case during troubleshooting in case it's shorting out somewhere) and CPU, the CPU fan should at least spin... assuming you have a run of the mill CPU fan and not an AIO or something.

PC SPECS:

CPU - Intel I7 9700K 3.6ghz

MB - Asus Prime Z390-P

GPU - RTX 2060 Super Gygabite

RAM - Corsair 2x 8gb DDR4 2800hrz

HDD - Seagate 1TB

SSD - 2x Seagate 240gb

PSU - Corsair RM-850W

• Corsair Employee
Unfortunately, nothing is moving.

I used also the paperclip test with the PSU and it has the same flauds. Also, adding an external consumer as a fan, the fan won't budge.

Weird.

And when you did the paperclip, the fan is the only thing you had plugged in? It and the 24-pin cable of course. All of the other cables were disconnected?

And the cables you ARE using are just the ones that came with the PSU?

The PSU is brand new it was in box.

Yes, that is the weird thing. I tested it out with the paperclip together with the 24pin cable (its original cable).

Also, I did the test without the cable and directly in the PSU outlet.

Any advice?

• Corsair Employee
The PSU is brand new it was in box.

Yes, that is the weird thing. I tested it out with the paperclip together with the 24pin cable (its original cable).

Also, I did the test without the cable and directly in the PSU outlet.

Any advice?

Sounds like it's DOA. :(