Corsair Community

GS700 Gaming Series PSU noise

CChris

Hi

My PSU generates an annoying noise whenever the fan is NOT spinning, which is usually the case. It stops only in the short breaks of less than 10 seconds when the fan is actually spinning. The noise is not extremely loud in intensity but actually the frequency spectrum is big (what I mean is that the noise is not a uniform one) and is very disturbing for me since I mostly work in the evening / at night on my computer.

I tried some suggestions in the "Noisy PSU" thread, nothing helped. What I haven't tried is mount the PSU in another computer on different motherboard, but I can't do that.

What I want to know... Is this normal? Is suppose not. Is the PSU faulty? Does in this case the warranty cover the issue, so that I request a change with the seller?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

What I want to know... Is this normal? Is suppose not. Is the PSU faulty? Does in this case the warranty cover the issue, so that I request a change with the seller?

It's not uncommon for the fan controllers to make those noises, but it shouldn't be so loud that it can be heard over the rest of your system. If that is the case , then i would go ahead and exchange it.

Yes, it is covered under warranty so if your seller won't exchange it for you , you can have it replaced directly through Corsair.

I bought this PSU today without reading the reviews, does all of them have the noise or is it only for faulty ones? i've read several forums which says that the GS series have a faulty fan controller?? should I exchange it before opening the box?

I bought this PSU today without reading the reviews, does all of them have the noise or is it only for faulty ones? i've read several forums which says that the GS series have a faulty fan controller?? should I exchange it before opening the box?

No, they do not all have the noise. The vast majority of them are silent or near that. This is an issue that effects only a very small number of units. The fan controller issue was identified last year and changed ...hence the 2013 edition. Although every now and then one or two does end up having a similar issue.

should I exchange it before opening the box?

Why hang it before convicting it?

I would at least try it since you have it. It's not going to matter if it's open or not if you need to return it.

No, they do not all have the noise. The vast majority of them are silent or near that. This is an issue that effects only a very small number of units. The fan controller issue was identified last year and changed ...hence the 2013 edition. Although every now and then one or two does end up having a similar issue.

Why hang it before convicting it?

I would at least try it since you have it. It's not going to matter if it's open or not if you need to return it.

Well, tested it and its just as i feared, there's an annoying clicking sound whenever the fan is in between idle and load modes - meaning when it spins up and slows down, also, it smells like something is burning/burnt... smells somewhat like burning plastic. I called up my vendor and he's agreed for a refund/exchange with a TX 650 (I'll have to add a few bucks for this exchange), but then i thought, id better wait when there's a TX 750 (Sold out currently) in stock because changing my Cooler Master GX 650W to another 650W is a no brainer, and the 12v Rail amperage is exactly the same and both are 80+ bronze certified... what are your opinions on this??

PS. i didnt mean to thread jack, my apologies to the OP

Im not sure how your PSU is configured but just out of curiosity is it facing down? I have read online that some people have had success when facing the PSU upwards inside the case this allows the heat to escape passively, with the problem being that the fan somehow cannot expel some of the heat stuck inside the PSU when facing down

also, it smells like something is burning/burnt... smells somewhat like burning plastic.

This is not uncommon for ANY psu to have smell like that until used for a while when brand new. It in no way means it's connected to the fan..thats it's own issue.

As far as switching PSU's that's up to you. There really isn't much difference betweeen the two but 100W

Archived