Corsair Community

DDR2-800 Timings and Voltage

Hose

I have a Dell T3400 (x38 mobo) and D9200 (965P mobo). Both have RAM specs listed as having 6-6-6-18 @ 1.8v. There are not many brands which offer specifically that, by many with 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v (or 1.8-1.9v). Would RAM with these "other" timings and voltage work in the Dells?

TIA

Hose

I would not go with the higher end DRAM. I would choose the Dell authorized DRAM. Contact Dell to be certain which DRAM you can use with those machines without issue and let them know also if you intend on using the present DRAM in conjunction with the new purchased DRAM.

In a NORMAL system, maybe. However, most OEM systems aren't normal. They're super picky about anything related to memory, and rarely follow the norm.

Corsair's Memory Configurator identifies the "6400C5" as compatible, and it's 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v.

I suppose if I tried it Corsair would support the purchase with an exchange, only??

Installed this "6400C5" in Dell Dimension 9200. Ran 1 pass of MemTest, all OK. Installed the RAM in Dell T-3400, and all is well. Diagnostic utility reports 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v.

So, in spite of slight variance of this RAM from stock Dell specs, the mobos are accommodating it just fine.

Installed this "6400C5" in Dell Dimension 9200. Ran 1 pass of MemTest, all OK. Installed the RAM in Dell T-3400, and all is well. Diagnostic utility reports 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v.

So, in spite of slight variance of this RAM from stock Dell specs, the mobos are accommodating it just fine.

As long as the nominal DIMM voltage is 1.8V and the SPD-programmed latency timings are 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 @ DDR2-800 speed, you'll be safe. But if the nominal voltage required by the memory is much higher than 1.8V, or if the latency timings are lower than 5-5-5, you may have problems.

As long as the nominal DIMM voltage is 1.8V and the SPD-programmed latency timings are 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 @ DDR2-800 speed, you'll be safe. But if the nominal voltage required by the memory is much higher than 1.8V, or if the latency timings are lower than 5-5-5, you may have problems.

Wasn't looking to overclock at all... already know about Dell mobo and BIOS... just hoping there were slight alternatives to stock specs so there could be various choices when upgrading RAM.

Thanks for reporting this information. I've documented it.

Archived