Corsair Community

K95 RGB White Base Plate Cover Mod

The dropbox and files posted here are exactly the same. I have more control over what is uploaded to the dropbox though, so you can't go wrong there.

I have tried using a mirror finish and it had what I would call an interesting but undesirable effect. The LEDs did not diffuse and shown onto the sides of the neighboring keycaps. I've not tried a brushed aluminum version because the KXX keyboards have brushed aluminum plates already. I guess you could try with a different color of aluminum... If you want to do your own custom machining make sure you use a material no more than 1/16" thick or it will interfere with the keycaps.

ok! i'll try it out!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small Update: German user HaselnuesseTo has provided me with edits making this mod now available for the German K70 layout! A big thanks to HaselnuesseTo for this contribution! :) German layout files will be uploaded both here and on my dropbox.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the files. As always, make sure when you print these out you do NOT scale at all, or the layout file will be slightly messed up and will not fit your keyboard!

K70_A4_German_BETA_Part1.pdf

K70_A4_German_BETA_Part2.pdf

Edited by Jkraghify

Selling these is against forum rules, unfortunately. I would advise you to find some place with a printer that you could use. A paper version costs about an hour or two of time to cut by hand. The plastic ones I produced cost quite a bit in laser time and most people don't want to pay upwards of $30 for something they can build themselves in an hour or two.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you think this would work if I somehow printed out on a sheet of paper and cut it by hand?

Yes! It absolutely works - I've done it that way myself. I designed PDF files to use specifically for printing out and cutting by hand. They are available on my dropbox and are also linked in this forum.

I recommend using an xacto knife and a straight edge to help guide the blade.

• 4 weeks later...

I go to school in a school with a graphics print shop. We have a laser cutter, and I am very seriously thinking about making a plastic baseplate. I have a template on now made out of high gloss sticky backed vinyl. Would you want the k65 template I made from the k70 .ai you provided?

EDIT: Also would like to let you and anyone else know. Don't use sticky back vinyl. Print on paper or white duct tape is better. MY end result had quite a few creases on the surface.

Edited by TobyMoose

I go to school in a school with a graphics print shop. We have a laser cutter, and I am very seriously thinking about making a plastic baseplate. I have a template on now made out of high gloss sticky backed vinyl. Would you want the k65 template I made from the k70 .ai you provided?

EDIT: Also would like to let you and anyone else know. Don't use sticky back vinyl. Print on paper or white duct tape is better. MY end result had quite a few creases on the surface.

Yes, if you make a k65 baseplate, I would be happy to add it to the project and credit you as a contributor! Let me know how your project goes, mate :D

http://imgur.com/a/lGono

This is my take on the mod for the k65.

The colour doesn't bounce of as much but that's likely a height problem and not a material problem and I'll just sand it down on the underside. It fits perfectly, and doesn't go over on either side. It actually meets flush with the edges!! These only cost me 5 bucks a peice and if I get the money I would totally make a few to give away, but we'll have to see about that. ;)

• Like 1

Hey all, updating this mod log today with some exciting news! User @TobyMoose emailed me earlier with permission to share his K65 base plate template file. For now, it is a .EPS file (opens in adobe illustrator). If you intend on laser cutting a base out, this is the file you're looking for :)

The file is available publicly on the project dropbox folder. (sub folder is EPS)

A big thanks to user @TobyMoose! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So Im terrible at cutting paper and won't have access to a laser cutter anytime soon so I tried to 3D print the backplate which actually came out better than expected.

I had so print the plate in three pieces because i only have a 200mm^2 build plate and toleranced them how i thought i should

http://imgur.com/CcBazrs

The end product came out mostly fine except I overestimated the spacing between the plates by about a millimeter which doesn't bother me all that much.

http://imgur.com/JHRVTnH

Edit:lolhowdoespostpictures?

Edited by sbleekerii

Hello may i know what's the thickness,width,length etcetc for tap plastic website you provide?

And can i print out the layout and use a penknife to cut out one by one?

I used High Impact Styrene 1/16" thick. I forget the length/width I bought, but it was physically larger than the board. If you are not planning on using a precision cutter, I would strongly advise that you do not attempt to make one out of plastic and instead use the PDF files to print the templates out on firm paper. Paper is much easier to cut by hand and actually looks very nice if you take your time. :)

I used High Impact Styrene 1/16" thick. I forget the length/width I bought, but it was physically larger than the board. If you are not planning on using a precision cutter, I would strongly advise that you do not attempt to make one out of plastic and instead use the PDF files to print the templates out on firm paper. Paper is much easier to cut by hand and actually looks very nice if you take your time. :)

So if i use A4Paper and print out the template and cut it using penknife, it will look the same like yours?

But the outcome will be the same? Or its not as bright as tap plastic?

And you recommend how long do we have to change the paper?

Here is a comparison picture: the paper is on top and the plastic is on the bottom. Plenty of people that can't make the mod out of plastic use paper and are very happy with the results :)

As long as you don't touch the paper, it should last a while. (more than a couple months)

If you regularly clean your keyboard as you should, then you can inspect the cover yourself every so often. Make sure you use a thick, craft-grade white paper and you'll have great results!

Here is a comparison picture: the paper is on top and the plastic is on the bottom. Plenty of people that can't make the mod out of plastic use paper and are very happy with the results :)

As long as you don't touch the paper, it should last a while. (more than a couple months)

If you regularly clean your keyboard as you should, then you can inspect the cover yourself every so often. Make sure you use a thick, craft-grade white paper and you'll have great results!

Alright, use those rough paper?

Is it possible for you to combine parts 1 & 2 to make it into one file, for people who has access to a vinyl cutter or something similar that cuts from a roll of paper instead of sheets.

Check my dropbox ;)

There are files for Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD, and Solidworks that do not split the keyboard into parts :D

Unless for some reason you wanted it in a PDF format..?