Corsair Community

VS2GB800D2 compatibility with Asus P5B and ATI HD5850

ghera2711

dear all,

I have a a desktop PC with following specs:

MoBo: Asus P5B (PCI-Ecpress 16X, up to 8 GB of RAM @ 800 MHz)

RAM: 2 x 2GB corsair VS2GB800D2

Video: Ati Radeon HD 5850

WiFI: Sitecom PCI WS171 54g turbo

PSU: Kraun Modular Power Supply 700 W (with 12V @ 16 A)

Processor: intel core 2 duo 2.136 GHz

I've recently upgraded my PC with above RAM, PSU and Video card and since the upgrade, the system became totally unstable with a lot of random Blue Screens, windows restores, drivers automatic removal ad so on….

I made some tests to understand who is the responsible for that:

1 - most recent video drivers downolad and install

2 - most recent MoBo BIOS upgrade

3 - all windows upgrades

4 - replacement of my previous Belkin USB wifi adapter with the sitcom PCI one

5 - all external peripheral disconnection

6 - memtest of each RAM module (no errors resulting)

7 - replacement of 2GB @ 800 MHz modules with old 2x 1 GB @ 333MHz modules

8 - BIOS timing and voltage RAM settings (timing 5-5-5-18, voltage 1.9V, freq. 800 MHz)

the results are the following:

With old RAM modules (2x 1GB @333 MHz) the system is stable (no error on 5 memtest cycles)

With just one new RAM module (2GB @800MHz) the system is stable (no errors on 5 memtest cycles)

With both new RAM modules the system is severely unstable.

So, I'm think the responsible should be some incompatibility between RAM modules (used together) and MoBo or video card, but I don't find anything about it in any forum...

Did anyone have a similar issue? Did anyone have a suggestion to solve this problem (except buy different type RAM modules?)

Thank you very much.

were the sticks purchased as a 4g kit or as 2 separate packages?

if the latter they may be different revisions or IC chips and there are no guarantees mixing ram even the same part#.

you can try resetting the bios to defaults and add .25v to your northbridge and see if it improves.

let us know:)

were the sticks purchased as a 4g kit or as 2 separate packages?

if the latter they may be different revisions or IC chips and there are no guarantees mixing ram even the same part#.

you can try resetting the bios to defaults and add .25v to your northbridge and see if it improves.

let us know:)

Are 2 separate packages. I will follow your suggestion. I will tell the results.

Thank you

I restored default parameters in the BIOS (except the "Memory remap feature", in order to recognize 4 GB). Then I swapped RAM modules in dimm sockets on all combinations: A1-A2; A1-B1; A1-B2; A2-B1; A2-B2; B1-B2. Alway the same message of memtest: "memtest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM". Today I will go back to the shop to try to exchange the modules with another two of a different brand. Neverthless I am pretty sure that each module it's ok (memtest on each single module reported no errors...). Enhancing the RAM voltage, the PC crashes....

Archived