Corsair Community

No LED Display = Defective Hydrocooler?

Troglodyte

Hello,

I ordered a Corsair HydroCool200EX from ZipZoomFly on 09/19/2004.

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to set it up for the first time. I followed all instructions carefully, and checked and rechecked all cable connections before powering on the PC.

When I powered it on for the first time, the water began to flow through the pump and the tubes, as it should, and I thought all was well....

But then I quickly noticed that the turbo light was on, and remained on... it did not turn off, also, no read out was every shown on the LED display. The system remained unresponsive to any of the front panel buttons I was to push.

I checked everything multiple time, and searched around for similiar issues on this forum... and it appears that I may have a dead controller board on my hands...

If anyone has any suggestions for me, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise it looks like I will have to RMA the entire unit.

Thanks,

Cory Adams

A+ / Network+ / MCP / MCSA Certified Computer Professional.

maybe its your weak PSU

Yea... I thought of that possibility, especially sense I am using it with an Shuttle SN45G with only a 200w PS... but to cancel out this possibility, I tried hooking up the Hydrocooler independently from the PC, by using an external drive enclosure... also I measured both the 5v and 12v rails using a multimeter... and they are well within 10% with or without the Hydrocooler plugged in (the 12v rail is at 11.99v with it plugged in, the 5v rail is approx. 5.03v or so)... so I am almost certain that this is not the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

After reading many more of these posts in this forum, it is sounding more and more like a dead front-panel controller board. For example, This post is startlingly similar. Because of this, and the interest of time, I have just submited an RMA Request Form to ZipZoomFly... Although I wish I knew how and if many of the similiar issues got resolved.

I will make an effort not to abbandon my post and keep everyone updated, in the hopes that this post may help people with similiar issues.

I have had great luck with ZipZoomFly in the past, and I hope this circumstance is no different... If there is any trouble, then I guess I will try RMA'ing it back to Corsair.

Thanks for the help, the little tid-bits that I have found on this forum have been very helpful to me in regards to troubleshooting, and canceling out possibilites.

Update:

ZipZoomFly replied promptly to my RMA request via e-mail on 9/28/2004.

In the e-mail I recieved, was my RMA # and the packaging procedures.

After disconecting everything, and draining as much liquid as I possible could out of the Hydrocool, I repackaged the unit along with all its accessories. I then placed the RMA # written in red on on the outside of the packaging box, in several areas. The e-mail stated that I was to ship "insured and freight prepaid", so I assume that means that they will credit the cost of return shipping back to me... That would be nice, as most companies don't seem to have such a policy anymore.

Then I mailed it this afternoon (9/28/2004).

I hope to recieve a working unit.

I will let everyone know how everything turns out.

"insured and freight prepaid" means that you pay a premium to the shipping company so that in case it gets lost or whatever they reimburse you for the cost of the items being shipped

Thanks for clarifying that... So I guess I wont be getting my $26.55 back then... oh well... that's a bit of a bummer...

In that case I certaintly do hope they send me a fully working unit...

• 2 weeks later...
Have you returned unit yet? If not, If not, I think I can correct it at no cost to you. Sorry for the hassles and disappointment.

Yes, I have already returned my unit to ZipZoomFly. I mailed it on 9/28/2004. They recieved the unit on 10/01/04. They then shipped the new unit on 10/06/04. And it arrived here on 10/08/04.

So when I got it, I was glad to see that this was an entirely new unit, no parts appeared to be taken from my original purchase and the serial number of the unit was entirely different. They did forget to include the funnel, but I'm not complaining about something as small as that (I just used one that I happened to have lying around). I also noticed the way that everything was packaged in individual bags makes me believe that the first unit I had was a return.

So, in short after setting this new unit up, and powering it on, everything appeared to work as it should. The water was pumped through, and the LCD light came on and displayed the current temperature. I also ran it though all the diagnostic tests, and every one of them passed.

The only problem I noticed is that the flow light does not turn on, but this is really only an aesthic thing, and it doesn't bother me that it is not working or burnt out or something.

Anyway, now that I have a working unit, I can say that I am very impressed with its cooling ability, features, simplicity and workmanship.

Thanks Corsair for making such a great product :)

If I experience anymore problems with my unit, I will post them here.

Archived