Corsair Community

High Idle Temps on Corsair A100 with AMD 3950X?

tdrbay

I recently purchased a Corsair One A100 configured with an AMD Ryzen 3950X processor. One of the first things I've noticed while running this computer is the high idle temperatures I'm seeing in psensor. I thought maybe this was a linux issue, so I rebooted the computer, went into my BIOS settings and found the following:

From a cold boot, the CPU temperature reads 41C. While inside the BIOS settings, I see these values steadily climb and eventually stabilize to:

CPU Temperature: 62C

CPU Package Temperature: 73C

Motherboard Temperature: 41C

T_Sensor Temperature

CPU Fan Speed: 3200-3480RPM

Chassis Fan 1 Speed: N/A

AIO PUMP SPEED: N/A

PCH FAN SPEED: 1655 RPM

HS FAN SPEED: 1531 RPM

CPU CORE VOLTAGE: +1.424V

3.3V VOLTAGE: +3.328V

5V VOLTAGE: +5.020V

12V VOLTAGE: 11.920V

Are these temperatures normal? I'm a little out of my element here with regards to gaming hardware and the proper/normal temperatures I should be seeing so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a Corsair One A100 configured with an AMD Ryzen 3950X processor. One of the first things I've noticed while running this computer is the high idle temperatures I'm seeing in psensor. I thought maybe this was a linux issue, so I rebooted the computer, went into my BIOS settings and found the following:

From a cold boot, the CPU temperature reads 41C. While inside the BIOS settings, I see these values steadily climb and eventually stabilize to:

Are these temperatures normal? I'm a little out of my element here with regards to gaming hardware and the proper/normal temperatures I should be seeing so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Your vcore is way too high (1.424).

You may want to lock the CPU speed and bring your vcore down. It will fix the issue. I left mine at 4.2GHz and 1.175 vcore. Idle temp is around 50C. It's still too hot for my liking but I'm waiting until more reviews are out for this model.

Every Ryzen motheboard I've used runs high VCORE (~1.4) at low loads, this is normal.

I've found I have high temps as well, and I think it is due to iCUE... The Default fan profile isn't turning on the fan.

Once the coolant hits 60c... the thermal safety turns on and maxes out the fan... until the coolant falls below 60c and then it repeats.

I put in a support ticket to see if this is intended behavior... for now I just have it set to a fixed 100%

Every Ryzen motheboard I've used runs high VCORE (~1.4) at low loads, this is normal.

I've found I have high temps as well, and I think it is due to iCUE... The Default fan profile isn't turning on the fan.

Once the coolant hits 60c... the thermal safety turns on and maxes out the fan... until the coolant falls below 60c and then it repeats.

I put in a support ticket to see if this is intended behavior... for now I just have it set to a fixed 100%

I have high temps as well. Setting mine up @4.2GHz and leave the fan @1,300RPM all the time lower it down a lot (fluctuate around 43-50C). Still, it's def. higher than the 10940X on Pro i200, where it never run higher than 50 on easy load.

CPU Temperature: 62C

CPU Package Temperature: 73C

Motherboard Temperature: 41C

T_Sensor Temperature

CPU Fan Speed: 3200-3480RPM

Chassis Fan 1 Speed: N/A

AIO PUMP SPEED: N/A

PCH FAN SPEED: 1655 RPM

HS FAN SPEED: 1531 RPM

CPU CORE VOLTAGE: +1.424V

3.3V VOLTAGE: +3.328V

5V VOLTAGE: +5.020V

12V VOLTAGE: 11.920V

Do you have PBO enabled? Disable it in bios (it may be called AMD Overclocking Options but things vary from BIOS to BIOS). If your operating in a really hot environment you could also set ECO mode to produce less heat but you will lose performance.

I've seen others report around 50c typical but it also depends on your operating environment and setup. Motherboard manufactures might also have settings that juice the power setting of their boards as well. See this interesting GN video [ame=

]
[/ame] After watching this I went hunting in my BIOS and tweaked some options that made my board behave better to stay in the PPT 142 watt spec and had a bit lower temps.

Looking at the pictures for "Corsair One A100" it looks like a 240 AIO on the CPU side so it seems possible to me your temps are normal once you have reached saturation. That is an interesting case design. Is that a 200mm fan on top for exhaust? Not sure if that provides enough airflow but as long as your under 95c you should be fine.

Regarding your high voltage this is typical at idle or bursty workloads. Zen2 cpu's create fast high density heat when boosting but under sustained loads the CPU will pull back voltage. Your CPU is working normally...also see the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen

For comparison. (sorry not really apples to apples I know)

When my my case intake temp is 29c. On water motherboard monoblock (custom loop w/ 360RAD) my 3950x will typically bounce between 38c to 48c at idle (vrm about 45c idle) and running CB20 it will bump up to CPU 75c, VRM 72c (80c/80c after multiple runs, pegging PPT, TDC, and EDC to 100% default values)

Edited by A Computer Guy

• 2 weeks later...

TLDR; 75c is fine, leave PBO alone and just enjoy the machine

Its not quite a 240mm rad, its a custom size for this this case.

The fan is a 140mm, and for this machine 71c is perfectly fine.

You should not disable PBO, this will only hurt the performance of your machine. The hotter the chip gets, the less PBO will boost the frequency.

95c is where the CPU will start setting its clocks lower than the rated boost frequency. I highly doubt with stock PBO settings you could even come close to that even with Prime95.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I redid the thermal paste and it brought the temp down 3-4C.

Before there are inconsistency between each core temp (ranging from 1C-10C between each).

I took the AIO cooler out and saw the the old paste was misaligned a lot. I repasted it and now each core has nearly the same temp (ranging from 1C-3C).