Corsair Community

Can you replace non-RGB-ML fans with RGB-ML fans with H100i Pro RGB?

A Computer Guy

Originally I didn't care much or consider RGB fans when getting my H100i Pro RGB cooler but I'm warming up to the RGB idea and I am considering replacing the fans with RGB fans.

Can you replace the non-RGB-ML fans with RGB-ML fans for the H100i Pro RGB? If so will the H100i Pro and iCue be able able to control the RGB of the fans?

Absolutely. Any 4 pin PWM fan should work on the cooler’s fan controller (except BeQuiet fans). However, that only addresses the fan speed control. If you don’t already have one, you need a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro, then a RGB Lighting hub to control the lighting. Lighting hub regulates the power. LNP or C-Pro is the software interface. You find all you need in a triple pack of ML120-RGB, which may be cheaper than 2 individual fans plus the remaking pieces a la carte. Also, you’re not restricted to ML fans. The HD and LL will work to, but you don’t want to mix and match. Life is a lot easier with one fan type for the case as each type requires it’s on lighting hub.

Thanks c-attack! That is a really clear description of what I need. I really like how quiet the ML fans are too! I found a post by Zotty with wiring diagrams that helps a lot too.

Unfortunately I exhausted my internal USB2 ports (1 for front panel, 1 for H100i Pro) I think I may consider getting the Commander Pro.

The Commander Pro is quite useful and I keep it in even when I am not running RGB fans. Besides 2 USB ports, it will also give you desktop fan control and take the BIOS out of play. You will have the usual CPU/GPU and other temp choices for control, but also it has the option of running fan speeds from thermal probe wires that work even when iCUE is not running. This allows for some more meaningful fan curves or just simple data collecting. Note, if you get the Commander Pro and 2 x ML120-RGB singles, you will still need to find the RGB Lighting Hub. It is only about $10 (USD), but you would likely need to get it from Corsair directly. There are other sources, but watch out for price gouging.

I was thinking of getting 2 triple packs as I also have 3 front fans and 1 side fan. This way I can have a uniform look and sound. I see on newegg one triple-pack for $99 and supposedly the same thing for $136 also by a different seller on newegg. Yikes!

Just one of my 4 antiquated 8+ year old Antec 900 blue LED fans makes more noise on low speed than both of those Corsair H100i Pro ML fans combined. I really liked how Antec oriented the LED's to reflect off the fan blades but good for it's day I suppose.

Of course now I am eyeballing some corsair cases too. Oh boy down the rabbit hole...

Yes, it is definitely a rabbit hole. I held out for a long time and then...

The prices on triple packs vs singles is often in flux and varies by fan type. Just do the math. If it is really close, the triple pack likely has more value. Inside each is an extra Lighting Node Pro, in addition to the required RGB Lighting Hub ($10). While you won't need the LNP at this time with a Commander Pro, they can be chained into the C-Pro (or another LNP) to add additional RGB channels for larger numbers of fans or RGB strips. It also may have value as a backup device of tester in case of problems. Yeah, 3rd party sellers at the Egg. Beware.

Archived