Corsair Community

System Won't Boot With 4x 4GB Memory Modules

C_Guy

Hi everyone;

Hoping to get some help with a new system I have built. The motherboard has two dual channel memory slot sets (for a total of four slots) and will support 32GB RAM.

I originally purchased two 4GB memory modules and installed them in the same channel. The system boots right up to Windows no problem.

I decided to then buy two more of the exact same module for a total of 4 modules (4 modules x 4 GB = 16 GB total). The system will not boot the operating system. I can get it to go to the BIOS and the system shows 4 modules installed and a total of 16 GB. But when the system tries to boot it gets past POST then turns off. A few seconds later it tries booting again but turns off after POST.

If I install 3 modules for a total of 12 GB the system again boots to Windows just fine. It does not matter which slot I leave free or which three modules I have installed the system behavior is the same. It will boot to Windows with any 3 but not all 4.

I contacted Corsair support and was advised to purchase a 16GB kit instead of 4 individual modules but given that all the modules work when any 2 or any 3 are installed I am not convinced that this is the solution.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Hardware models are listed in profile and not repeated here as per forum rules. :)

I contacted Corsair support and was advised to purchase a 16GB kit instead of 4 individual modules but given that all the modules work when any 2 or any 3 are installed I am not convinced that this is the solution.

This very well could be your issue even though three out of four will boot. And it may not be so much the memory in this case rather than the load of running four modules vs two or three, on the memory controller in your CPU.

But it is correct that you just cant predict how any two random kits would run , let alone 4 unmatched sticks, even though they are the same part number.

What you can try is to raise the memory voltage to 1.55v or 1.6v. This adjustment will often help compensate for that load or if you have board that isn't supplying a true 1.5v to the memory. All though you may have set or the board set them and it shows 1.5.the actual voltage at the DIMM's could be slightly lower.

If the bump in voltage doesn't help then you really should return them if you can and get a single matched 16gig kit.

Archived