Corsair Community

AX1200i died

jvillaveces

I built my PC in February. I upgraded it to a custom water cooling loop a month ago. Everything was working fine.

A few hours ago, there was a loud crack, and the system shut down. The motherboard LEDs were on, but the system wouldn't power up. I hooked up the PSU to the jumper cable (http://www.performance-pcs.com/jump-start-eps-atx-24-pin-power-supply-jumper-on-off-switch-red-light.html) I had used when filling/bleeding the loop. and it wouldn't start. Conclusion: the AX1200i died for no particular reason.

Unfortunately, the cheapo power supply I used to fill the loop is only 350W, so I can't use it in my system. I just opened an RMA request, I hope I can get a replacement soon.

Is this sort of problem frequent with i series PSUs, or the AX1200i in particular?

So far my experience had been that Corsair hardware was great although software (Link :mad:) was horrific. Now a top of the line hardware component failed unexpectedly.

Sure no coolant dripped into the PSU?

Good news: The AXi has a seven year warranty, so you're covered.

I already received the RMA authorization and the dead PSU is on its way to Corsair. Occasional product quality issues are unavoidable, but service just doesn't get better than this!

Regarding coolant in the PSU, I didn't find any moisture around it when I removed it, nor any leaks in my loop, so coolant wouldn't be high on my last of probable causes of death.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to update this thread to report that my AX1200i did die of water poisoning, caused by me. I saw a puddle in the spot the PSU used to occupy the day after I took it out of the case. It turns out I did have a leak!

My comment about how helpful the RMA people at Corsair still stands, although of course I told them I didn't need the RMA any more.

Can anyhyone with a similar experience tell me if it's worthwhile trying to get it repaired? I already replaced it, but just tossing such an expensive piece of hardware is a painful idea.

Archived