Corsair Community

Help With Cooling h100i v2

nicolasmgago

Hello Everyone, i'm new to water cooling so there is a lot of stuff i'm still learning.

btw, english is not my first language. So please have patience =)

I have an H100i V2 installed in my CPU and i think i need help with temp.

I installed its drivers and this is what I can see. I know FX9370 has a lot of temp issues. Actually this is why i bought this water cooling system.

I wonder if anyone can help me improving this a little bit more since i keep getting a lot of noise from fans and some system resets suddenly due to temp (i think).

I still cannot afford to buy a new CPU and Mother so I'm trying to keep up with these.

Here are the temps from Corsair Link Software.

https://imghub.io/i/973va

Thanks in advance.

What were you doing when that screen shot was taken? 37C is a little warm for the coolant temperature, but not if it's hot in the room/case and you have been at full load. Most people will see an idle coolant temperature (H100i Temp) of approximately 4-6C above their room temperature.

What were you doing when that screen shot was taken? 37C is a little warm for the coolant temperature, but not if it's hot in the room/case and you have been at full load. Most people will see an idle coolant temperature (H100i Temp) of approximately 4-6C above their room temperature.

Hello, first of all thanks for asking.

I was doing Literally nothing. I have just format the PC last night.

Of course it gets worse when gaming.

In the screenshot, your Vcore is up at near maximum so the CPU temp should be up as well. A 25C or so difference between the coolant temp (37C) and CPU Package temp (63C) is not very large, but I am not sure I remember the typical values for a 9370 anymore.

How does the 37C idle coolant temperature compare to the room temperature? It would be normal for the case to be hot (and thus the coolant too) after 30 min plus of gaming. However, a warning sign is if you cold boot up in the morning and can watch the coolant temp tick upwards 24-25-26....up to 37C in a matter of minutes. It should be slow to change up or down.

You also can test this on the high end by running a basic stress test. Use something mild like the Stress Test in the Bench Tab of CPU-Z. That is linear and won't cause the CPU temp to jump around. See if you can run it for 5-10 minutes. The coolant should go up about 6-8C and do it slowly. Again, if starts going up +1C every few seconds, stop the test.

In the screenshot, your Vcore is up at near maximum so the CPU temp should be up as well. A 25C or so difference between the coolant temp (37C) and CPU Package temp (63C) is not very large, but I am not sure I remember the typical values for a 9370 anymore.

How does the 37C idle coolant temperature compare to the room temperature? It would be normal for the case to be hot (and thus the coolant too) after 30 min plus of gaming. However, a warning sign is if you cold boot up in the morning and can watch the coolant temp tick upwards 24-25-26....up to 37C in a matter of minutes. It should be slow to change up or down.

You also can test this on the high end by running a basic stress test. Use something mild like the Stress Test in the Bench Tab of CPU-Z. That is linear and won't cause the CPU temp to jump around. See if you can run it for 5-10 minutes. The coolant should go up about 6-8C and do it slowly. Again, if starts going up +1C every few seconds, stop the test.

Thanks for tips.

I'll check how Temp increases after booting up in the morning first in order to see how fast it reaches 36/37°. The temp here in Buenos Aires is 19° Celsius. I don't use air condicioner so i think is the same in the room where the case is located.

If the GPU was putting out a considerable load, you would know it. Your GPU temps for idle and the zero fan state are right within expectations. When the GPU diode is sitting at 40-50C and no real load, it will not effect the internal case temperature. It's fans on and blowing the 200-300W from load that heats up the case.

Your CPU package temp is definitely down, but that could also be the original screenshot was misrepresenting the situation. Coolant is only 3-4C less than before and that is a pretty normal change between morning and late afternoon/evening as the room temp changes over the day. The cooler is definitely working and the differential to CPU temp isn't bad, so it seems mounted correctly. Not sure if the voltage got stuck high or not.

In general, you can look at the H100i Temp to assess cooler efficiency. So if we've established your idle temp averages in the mid 30s, then you should expect a +6-10C increase during gaming with extended GPU load. About half that rise is GPU/ambient related heat and not the CPU directly. In practical terms, that will put the fans at the 100% mark when you hit 40C. That is not a hard safety line and coolant temp is always relative to room/case temperature. Someone in 16C room could be having terrible cooler efficiency and never know it because they still won't get up to the max fan level. If you start at 37C, you will hit 40C pretty quickly. You can make your own curves to bring things down a bit.

Performance Tab +. That will create a graph underneath. In the top right hand corner are three shape tools that correspond to the three presets. Pick one and then you can drag the points down a bit to get a more reasonable idle level and tolerable gaming level. The cooler is not so dependent on fan speed that taking off 200-300 rpm will put you into trouble. Experiment and see.

As for the baseline coolant temp, it does seem a bit out of the expected range. There are a lot of gains to be made there, if possible. Can you describe how/where the radiator is mounted? Top/front? Intake/Exhaust? What case is this? Are you using a heavy dust filter that might restrict the fans? Is the case under a desk or in a corner where it's going to heat its local area?

If the GPU was putting out a considerable load, you would know it. Your GPU temps for idle and the zero fan state are right within expectations. When the GPU diode is sitting at 40-50C and no real load, it will not effect the internal case temperature. It's fans on and blowing the 200-300W from load that heats up the case.

Your CPU package temp is definitely down, but that could also be the original screenshot was misrepresenting the situation. Coolant is only 3-4C less than before and that is a pretty normal change between morning and late afternoon/evening as the room temp changes over the day. The cooler is definitely working and the differential to CPU temp isn't bad, so it seems mounted correctly. Not sure if the voltage got stuck high or not.

In general, you can look at the H100i Temp to assess cooler efficiency. So if we've established your idle temp averages in the mid 30s, then you should expect a +6-10C increase during gaming with extended GPU load. About half that rise is GPU/ambient related heat and not the CPU directly. In practical terms, that will put the fans at the 100% mark when you hit 40C. That is not a hard safety line and coolant temp is always relative to room/case temperature. Someone in 16C room could be having terrible cooler efficiency and never know it because they still won't get up to the max fan level. If you start at 37C, you will hit 40C pretty quickly. You can make your own curves to bring things down a bit.

Performance Tab +. That will create a graph underneath. In the top right hand corner are three shape tools that correspond to the three presets. Pick one and then you can drag the points down a bit to get a more reasonable idle level and tolerable gaming level. The cooler is not so dependent on fan speed that taking off 200-300 rpm will put you into trouble. Experiment and see.

As for the baseline coolant temp, it does seem a bit out of the expected range. There are a lot of gains to be made there, if possible. Can you describe how/where the radiator is mounted? Top/front? Intake/Exhaust? What case is this? Are you using a heavy dust filter that might restrict the fans? Is the case under a desk or in a corner where it's going to heat its local area?

CPU package temp rounds 20/30 when idle and 40/50 when gaming or using virtualization with Android Emulators for example. Voltage is around 1.40 in same described scenarios but goes down to 0.90/1.20 when idle (sometimes it shows 1.40 too).

I didn't get the "Performance TAB" Part (sorry), the only thing related to performance found on Corsair Link is the "Profile".

The Radiator is mounted Top / Exahust. I don't use a heavy dust filter. The case is under a desk and is a NZXT Fulltower Whisper black.

Thanks again for helping.

Ok. I'm back.

For some reason, when using bluestacks (android emulator) or playing CS:GO all temps rise a lot. Motherboard reaches 80°C, CPU almost the same and of course h100i v2 has to work a lot to contain that. Fan speed reaches 2500rpm.

On Idle, motherboard stays around 40/50, CPU 30/40 and h100i 36° with fans between 1300/1500 rpm.

Is there anythingi could do to improve this or should I just say "Game Over, get a new PC my friend" ?

Edited by nicolasmgago

Motherboard reaches 80C??? Hmm.. probably not the actual motherboard sensor. Link and CUE are both notorious for providing some rather suspicious, if not outright incorrect data. I see the 61C on the original screen shot. The only legitimate MB value that might operate between 40-80C is the VRM temperature. It could be this, but it's hard to say. That could also be garbage data.

One thing we have not discussed is the general layout and airflow in the case. Internal case ambient air temperature will always be the baseline coolant and CPU temperature. So if you have a restrictive case with solid panels, plus a dust filter, and then you push the box into a corner, you are going to keep a lot of heat trapped in the general area. Some of those things or a combination of them may be responsible for keeping your baseline coolant temp higher than expected.