Corsair Community

Ghosting machine with Accelerator drive installed

Hello all. I recently purchased two Corsair Accelerator 60GB SSD cache drives for my and my wife's gaming rigs. The drives installed easily and are working great!

I regularly Ghost my computers using Symantec Ghost. This morning it was time to Ghost my machines again. I booted up from my Ghost CD as normal, picked my boot drive to Ghost and started the process like I always do. The Ghost completed in about ten seconds, and appears to only have copied about 500MB of data. I have about 120GB of data that normally gets copied. The Ghosting process normally takes about 90 - 120 minutes.

I doubled checked that I didn't select the wrong drive (I have two hard drives in the computer, plus the Accelerator). I started the process again and got the same result. In my Ghost list of drives, the top drive has always been my boot or C: drive, which is the drive I was selecting.

Is there a known issue that boot drives will not Ghost correctly after installing an Accelerator cache drive? I depend on regular Ghosts of my machines for piece of mind, so I would like to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or assistance.

I use Acronis but basically you have to uninstall dataplex , image your machine and then re-install .

Really? How cumbersome is that! I am surprised that even at a "DOS" level the Dataplex software comes into play. I thought the Dataplex software didn't even engage till Windows 7 was booting up.

Is there any negative effects from uninstalling and reinstalling the Dataplex every month or so?

All i know is you can't do anything with either drives outside of dataplex / windows else you will end up with corruption etc .

I clone my boot drive ~ 4-6 weeks and it only adds 10 min to the entire procedure so no real hardship and no problems with the reinstalls of dataplex , just make sure you have your key and are attached to the web each time you uninstall / reinstall , saves a key reset mail later down the line .

All i know is you can't do anything with either drives outside of dataplex / windows else you will end up with corruption etc .

I clone my boot drive ~ 4-6 weeks and it only adds 10 min to the entire procedure so no real hardship and no problems with the reinstalls of dataplex , just make sure you have your key and are attached to the web each time you uninstall / reinstall , saves a key reset mail later down the line .

Ok. Thank you for the information.

I will go the route of uninstalling the Dataplex software each time, then reinstalling it after my Ghosting.

Btw, I ended up trying the Windows 7 built in Backup and Restore and it seemed to back everything up just like I would expect.

I will try taking out my current boot (C:) drive, installing a new drive, then testing the restore using the recovery CD that was created in the process to see how that works, but I suspect it will work just fine.

Btw, I ended up trying the Windows 7 built in Backup and Restore and it seemed to back everything up just like I would expect.

I will try taking out my current boot (C:) drive, installing a new drive, then testing the restore using the recovery CD that was created in the process to see how that works, but I suspect it will work just fine.

If Dataplex was installed and running , installing that to a new drive may have issues but should be ok on the original .

I prefer imaging tbh , in the last 5 years i have had to go use them 2 times when i had either soft or hard errors and they have worked with no issues , back up and running in less than 2 hours both times .

If Dataplex was installed and running , installing that to a new drive may have issues but should be ok on the original .

I prefer imaging tbh , in the last 5 years i have had to go use them 2 times when i had either soft or hard errors and they have worked with no issues , back up and running in less than 2 hours both times .

I fully agree, I prefer a solid image. Luckily, I have only had to resort to reverting to an image a couple times, but when I did, I was back up and running like nothing ever happened.

I still will test the Windows 7 recovery process, but I feel most confident with a full Ghost image.

Archived