Corsair Community

Got some problems with the H100 fan hub

iNDEPENDENT

I recently changed my H50 for a H100 and with the spending pants on I also invested in three brand new Noctau fans for my new cooling system. But I ran in to some problems while atempting to plug in the new fans in the fan hub.

I was thinking of using two of the Noctua fans to cool the radiator and to use as an exhaust fan.

So far I've concluded this:

Connecting the three fans in the hub makes them all spin for a short amount of time while starting up. After that only one fan is working (the one connected to the far right connector.

I've tried using a single fan in each one of the connectors wich resulted in the exact same symtoms that it spun up while booting and then went to a halt exept for the connector to the most right where it appears to work flawlessly with the fan speed controller and everything.

Right now I've made a temporary solution by using a Y-cable to the one working fan connector.

The Corsair fans that came with the H100 seem to work though. :sigh!:

I'am super greatful for some assistance!

Seemingly odd behavior, the one fan connection working and the others not. If both of the Corsair fans function normally in the fan controller, then the controller seems to be Ok. I can't explain the single connection working with your other fans.

We have seen behavior like this in the forum with fans other than the stock fans. The fan controller is tuned to work with the standard Corsair fans. Some other fans will work with it, others won't.

As I have learned over time from a large collection of fans and some reading, the characteristics of fans can be (and is) very different, even for fans of the same size, such as 120mm. Different top speed, starting voltage (no spin-up until a certain voltage is applied), minimum speed, rate of speed change with increasing voltage (RPM vs voltage curve), power usage, and of course noise level. Fans that are considered high quality can vary in these parameters quite a bit, so "good fans" will not automatically work with this controller.

Trying to match a different fan with the Corsair fan will help with compatibility, but is no guarantee. The Corsair fan will spin up to ~2800 RPM, your replacements, ~1500 RPM. High speed fans like the Corsair's must have a low starting voltage in order to supply a speed range appropriate to their usage, otherwise they would operate as virtually either off or on. I think I read that your fans have a relatively high starting voltage compared to the Corsair fans. So with a high starting voltage and much lower top speed, they are a poor match.

You should try setting the Corsair fan controller to it's highest speed setting, and connect your fans to the controller individually, and that might work without the splitter cable. You did not mention what setting you use on the fan controller, but if it is set on Quiet, try the middle or high setting. If you are already using the high setting, IMO you are out of luck with those fans on the Corsair controller.

First of all Thank you for your reply!

After my post yesterday I coulden't help my self not to fiddle some more with the fans and indeed strange behavior.

While the system was up and running I just had to se if I could get the fans running. And yes! I got one more connector to power the secound fan without the Y-cable. I'm 100% sure that this did not work before since I tried every possible combination.

Then I tried with the third fan with no success. Again I tried with the Corsair fan in the two availible connectors and it worked flawless. I tried the third Noctau again and what do you know it ran (I'm still running the two first ones)! Tried the other availble connector and it was dead again as well as in the connector that it just worked in.

I connected the Corsair fan again wich worked in bouth connectors and then I put the third Noctua in the connector that did not work at all the last time. This time it ran but not in the other one wich it had previously worked in.

Finally I got all three fans running and made sure that I could shut down my system and boot it up again without the fans turning of during mid boot. And yes it seems that it is working now with the fan controller and everything.

If the Noctuas is running within specs I can not tell though and I'm a little bit worried if it might damage the fans in some way. At the moment I'm running the fan controller on the lowest speed. Is there a way to calculate what RPMs the different fans speeds of the H100 fan controller is giving fans other than the Corsair ones?

Thank you!

If the Noctuas is running within specs I can not tell though and I'm a little bit worried if it might damage the fans in some way. At the moment I'm running the fan controller on the lowest speed. Is there a way to calculate what RPMs the different fans speeds of the H100 fan controller is giving fans other than the Corsair ones?

Thank you!

You won't damage your new fans with lower voltage, as long as they are running. There is no way to calculate the speed of your new fans on the Corsair controller without more information. You'd need to know the voltage graph (curve) of the fan controller (which is unknown) and the speed vs voltage graph of your new fans. As I wrote earlier, the characteristic of fans are usually different, and a simple interpolation with any true accuracy is not possible.

We also don't know which model number your new fans are, that makes a difference. If you are using those low noise adapters, take them out now! They will really keep your fans from easily starting on the Corsair fan controller.

A simple interpolation might go like this. Looking at Noctua's web site, the fastest 120mm fan they have is 1500 RPM. Since the H100's fan run up to ~2800 RPM, that is a little less than double the speed of the Noctua. So if the Corsair fan was running at 1300 RPM, half of that is 650 RPM, and a little more to compensate, which gives ~700 RPM. The other 120mm Noctua fans are rated at 1300 and 1200 RPM, so would be under 700 RPM.

I am sure that the Corsair fans move much more air than your new fans do, as well as work better with radiators, given their high static pressure, which is over three times that of the Noctua fan. Of course the Corsair fans are much louder, and with the H100, you can trade off ultimate cooling capability for quiet operation with different fans, which I imagine is your goal.

I have 4 Noiseblocker PL-2's. They work with the fancontroller as in they power up, however there is an issue. When the fan controller changes speed, it first stops the fans then powers them on again. This strange behaviour made a very noticable sound in my otherwise very quiet system. So I reconnected them to a fan controller. Later I switched two of the fans to system fans on my mobo. The PL-2's are just as quiet on 65% (minimum on my mobo) as 40% (minimum on the fancontroller), and the system fan speed is controlled just fine from the BIOS.

Archived