Corsair Community

H80 Cooling Issues... Not cooling

gbmaryland

Installed the H80 unit on a Gigabyte Assassin2 (LGA 2011) based system.

The fans DO NOT turn on when plugged into the header for the H80.

Furthermore, the BIOS reports that the CPU is running at 25 RPM. (Huh?)

Basically, the system shuts down due to heat issues. (...or at least thats what I suspect.)

Any ideas on what the heck is going on with this product? ...possibly substandard product? (I've seen some other threads, and one fellow had to take it back THREE times.)

Is there ANY possible way I've done something wrong? Using a fiber optic camera I can see that the heat sink is mounted properly. Also, the block does get hot gradually...

In the BIOS screen I usually see 79 degrees, until it turns off.

It sounds to me like your motherbod header that the h80 is plugged into is not working properly. Go into the BIOS and make sure that fan header is set to manual and 100%. if you have a fan header adapter connect the h80 directly to your power supply and see what happens. The pump should be running at @4000 rpms. Since it isnt running your CPU is overheating quickly.

the 3 pin header is only a sense lead for the pump that shows the pump speed which should show around 2000rpm, setting the bios fan speeds makes no difference to that, the molex plug runs the pump.

also here why the fan or fans do not kick in in at full speed when all lights are on http://www.corsair.com/blog/understanding-the-hydro-series-h80-and-h100-cooling-performance-profiles/

also my pre-applied paste was off set , so i re-seated it which made a big difference.

gbmaryland, beekermartin's advice only applies to the H60, as you likely noticed.

If you have the H80's molex power connector connected to your PS, which you should check, the pins in the H80's molex connector may have slipped out of place, then it sounds like you have a bad unit. The CPU Fan speed you posted, which of course is actually the pump's speed, of 25 RPM, is obviously wrong. The pump speed of a H80 should be ~2000 RPM.

I'm seeing a large number of bad units... This is not a good sign.

There is a tag in the box saying dont take it back to the store ...but it's look just like that's what is going to happen.

Really, you shell out $120.00 for this? A product made to help destroy your $600 CPU? Quite annoying.

Failed units is always a possibility as much as that sucks it can happen. Did you check to make sure the molex connector is connected properly? Sometimes a pin can push out of place which could cause the issue your having. Since your fans aren't spinning as well as the pump not running it is obvious the issue is power related.

gbmaryland, I understand your frustration, and your CPU will shut itself off before it is damaged or ruined due to overheating, Intel saved themselves from that issue several generations of CPUs ago. It sounds like you know that.

The do not return to store note is aimed at users that do not have experience with mounting coolers like this, not for dealing with failures.

You have a faulty unit, and returning it to the store is likely your easiest option.

Ok, I took a voltmeter to it and all was normal.

I then used the secondary molex loop and suddenly the main fans came online. That's a first... However, the pump RPMs continued to do 00, 41, 25, 51, 00, etc.

So I'm assuming these things have nice pump issues

I hooked up a 2nd power supply and ran the unit... Exactly as before...

So, bad water block / block motor.

Back to the store it goes... Making this a crappy day.

Intel is only selling the LGA2011 non extreme units without heat sinks... And my emergency Corsair purchase generated hours of wasted time due to a clear cut lack of obvious technical direction in ANY sort of docmentation.

Made all the more confusing by this Corsair Digital Link stuff on the box... Implying the some sort of control software, etc. Not that therd was documentation in the box the covered that...

Should have bought the top of the line Intel solution that comes with a water block...

Yeah, when you factor in my time it was cost effective purchase the extreme edition, as opposed to the Corsair H80.

I was also moving a Windows 7 install from a i7-980 / x58 board to the new x79 board. The LSI 9750 reported an error... Due to the abrupt shutdowns...

So now may be restoring from backup as the result of some "high end" product made in china with QC issues.

Archived