Corsair Community

SP2500 POD Cable Extention...

68fastback

Contacted Amphenol the other day and asked for their recommendation on an appropriate cable (even pointed them to this thread). Didn't hear from them yet so ordered Monoprice's premium tripple-shielded gold-pin cable (25') ...so I figure, at their low price, if it works, great. If not I'll use it for another app and maybe I'll hear from Amphenol by then.

We shall see :D:

Contacted Amphenol the other day and asked for their recommendation on an appropriate cable (even pointed them to this thread). Didn't hear from them yet so ordered Monoprice's premium tripple-shielded gold-pin cable (25') ...so I figure, at their low price, if it works, great. If not I'll use it for another app and maybe I'll hear from Amphenol by then.

We shall see :D:

Exactly at the price you can't go wrong, that's why I suggested Monoprice, a great place to get any cable! Hope it works for you!

Exactly at the price you can't go wrong, that's why I suggested Monoprice, a great place to get any cable! Hope it works for you!

Yep. I've been happy with them (price and service) in the past too ...their cables seem to hold up well too (so far).

So, if capacitance is the issue, this will be a good test of the quality of the conductors in the MP premium cable. If it's at least a decent density copper (low O2) with the gold-pins and ferrites I'm fairly hopefull if will work. If there's some minor interference, I can live with that ...as long as all functions work reliably.

I'm in the east so won't see them until late next week.

GREAT NEWS!!!

I installed a 25' Monoprice (PID 3594) 25' SUper VGA Male/Female CL2 rated for in-wall installation with ferrites and gold-plated interfaces) and it works *FLAWLESSLY* ...no interference whatsoever.

Based on that I will install it permanently -- hopefully over the weekend.

btw, for those interested, I actually ordered three cables:

- the 25' for the Corsair control module extention (mentioned above)

- 25' Male/Male gold-plated CL2-rated SVGA (PID 3621) so I can show pics on the HDTV from my laptop

- 25' Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo male 22AWG (PID 5581) gold plated for audio from Labtop to the HDTV

I'll post up if any problems develop with teh Corsair controller extention, etc, but I'm not anticipating any ...and at $7.84 it's a steal. They make cheaper cables without ferrites or gold-plating (which may or may not work) but the PID 3594 I bought is their Premium cable and seems to work flawlessly. They also make an SVGA cable for plenum installations but that is the same quality cable just with a strain-relief tension cable built in ...and costs considerably more.

Only drawback I can see is that the ferrite cores near the end of the cable might cause you to have pull the subwhoofer another 1' or so away from the wall to allow the cable to curve (never a good idea to sharply bend and high-frequency cable), tho you could bend it more tightly (I won't).

Happy camper! ...and thanks RAM GUY for helping with the info, etc.

-Dan

[edit:] PS ...still haven't gotten any reply from Amphenol ...I'm surprised.

[edit:] 12-18-11 ...have used every POD function multiple times via the Monoprice 25' SVGA extender and every function is still working flawlessly. If you're considering extending the POD/conroller cable, I would not hesitate to use the Monoprice premium cable I listed above ...I'm so glad I tried this. -Dan

[edit:] 1-16-12 ...using it every day and not one problem or 'glitch' of any kind with the 25' control Pod extender cable ...I think it's now safe to say this works 100% flawlessly with a high quality cable as engineering said -- awesome!!

• 3 years later...

Holy necro guys.

I've just bought an "SVGA" cable, as instructed by the FAQs.

Upon some further analysis there's actually no difference between VGA and SVGA as far as the vessel or cable is concerned, SVGA is just the term for 800x600 whereas VGA is 640x480.

The cables are all 15 pins.

Anyway, I bought an extension and I'm experiencing the same issue as you'll find on many other topics regarding extending the SP2500 remote, no sound!!

I thought the reason for the SVGA (vs VGA) cable is that the SVGA cable is made to a higher spec (uncertain exactly what, but may be capacitance) and was therefore felt to be more suitable for more reliably. The physical interface is the same but the quality of the cable may not be. I bought the best SVGA I could find (Monoprice's premium tripple-shielded gold-pin cable - 25') and it's been working perfectly ever since.

See posts 15, 26 and 29 above for a net summary of this tread...

• 9 months later...
I thought the reason for the SVGA (vs VGA) cable is that the SVGA cable is made to a higher spec (uncertain exactly what, but may be capacitance) and was therefore felt to be more suitable for more reliably. The physical interface is the same but the quality of the cable may not be. I bought the best SVGA I could find (Monoprice's premium tripple-shielded gold-pin cable - 25') and it's been working perfectly ever since.

See posts 15, 26 and 29 above for a net summary of this tread...

Google searches yield more info but TLDR version is:

SVGA VS VGA cables, connection wise are identical.

SVGA cables usually have more shielding, larger conductor size and

have lower loss than VGA cables.

SVGA cables will be thicker diameter than VGA cables.

Usually.

It could be one could find a 'VGA ' cable

that is as good as a SVGA cable.

Archived