Corsair Community

Filter for 600T case

Bob Holmes

Before I ask my question, bare with me and I'll tell you what I have in my 600T. MB is Asus M4A87TD EVO, CPU is Phenom II x4 965, 8gb Corsair memory, Asus 6850 vid card, Corsair 650w PSU, a hard drive and a burner. I use my PC for email, my grandsons play a couple of games on it, I use it for the internet (my wife on face book), I listen to music, etc. Nothing is overclocked, since I never did know how. My query - do I need extra cooling other than what came with my case? I read here in this forum about the side panel that has mesh that can have additional fans attached to it, and one lately concerning some filter that is available to use with the panel. Need I be interested in this? I'm 69 yrs old and so I doubt very seriously I will ever do anything exotic with this, my probably last build, and truthfully, my bride of the last 46 yrs will most likely beat me up if I spend any more on computer stuff.:biggrin:

Those people fitting the mesh side panel are probably all overclockers with big gfx cards. I would say you are probably fine without any extra cooling but you don't mention any temps. Do you know what the idle/load temps are of your cpu?

I have a program called Core Temp. and while my PC is just sitting here, it registers about 34-35 degrees. After the two boys have played their game (Call of Duty World at War) for a little bit, I think it usually registers in the high 40's, but it seems to fall pretty fast. I don't think it has ever shown in the 50's

I don't see any reason why you would need to. Those temps sound fine to me, but I'm not exactly an expert.

I did end up getting the mesh window side panel for my 600T and installed 4 120mm fans on it, but I didnt need to. I mostly did it for peace of mind that my new PC build will have plenty of cool air flowing to the graphics card (i'll be adding a 2nd card soon), and CPU. It did bring my temperatures down some, but I also think the temperatures were not a problem before adding them.

I ended up spending about $100 total on the new side panel with mesh window, 4 120mm fans, and a custom sized dust filter for the window (which I ordered from Demciflex, a company based out of South Africa).

I don't see any reason why you would need to. Those temps sound fine to me, but I'm not exactly an expert.

I did end up getting the mesh window side panel for my 600T and installed 4 120mm fans on it, but I didnt need to. I mostly did it for peace of mind that my new PC build will have plenty of cool air flowing to the graphics card (i'll be adding a 2nd card soon), and CPU. It did bring my temperatures down some, but I also think the temperatures were not a problem before adding them.

I ended up spending about $100 total on the new side panel with mesh window, 4 120mm fans, and a custom sized dust filter for the window (which I ordered from Demciflex, a company based out of South Africa).

Do I read correctly that you have your fans sucking air into your case rather than exhausting it? And now, please pardon my ignorance for this, but - take an Antec fan for instance. If you can read the label on it, is that positioned to suck or blow? I think that the blades are concave when it's turned that way, but I don't know what that does for air flow. :o:

Bob,

Look closely on the outside framework of any particular fan you may have in your hand. then, rotate it around to look at each outside edge. Ordinarily, the manufacturer will either put a sticker, or you will see moulded into the plastic itself "directional arrows", telling you exactly which way the fan blades will rotate, and which direction the air will flow through the blades.

As for your original question. For what you describe using your PC for, ultimately you really don't need to do anything at all. The temps you mention are relatively low, and you certainly give the impression you have more than a basic knowledge and understanding of your hardware, and relevant software too.

As for what the grand kids are doing. Playing games such as CoD - World at War, or CoD - Modern Warfare (1 or 2), is going to push your system a little harder than normal. Such games are a little more hardware intensive and resource greedy.

The temps you mention above are well within normal ranges however. In fact, they are actually pretty good if your system is running resource greedy F.P.S. games like modern versions of CoD.

If whilst using Core Temp you have noticed that the relevant temps never exceed 50 C, and when at low loads or idle, are nearer the low to mid 30's C, everything is already doing a good job as is.

Whilst more "hardcore enthusiasts" may take the road of increasingly radical measures to lower temps. The simple fact is that from what you are saying, you really needn't do much to your set up at all. When all is said and done, your temps simply aren't of any real concern, and they're not reaching a point at which you need to start taking further action.

It's going to be down to personal preference or your own experience on what call to make essentially :)!!!

Thank you very much for your response, and the recommendations. I will take a look at the fans I have. I wasn't sure what they were supposed to do. They were left over from a previous PC build, and so I just figured I'd use them. But then I started looking at the comments concerning filters and stuff, and that kinda scared me financially. In all honesty, my wife doesn't particularly like it when the UPS guy pulls up in front, and his delivery says Newegg on it. Thanks again.

LOL @ the delivery man scaring the wife. Hopefully your bank balance isn't going to be an issue or take a dent in this instance :).

Filters are not an absolute necessity, merely an additional extra to cut down on the amount of dust being dragged into your systems case by the intake fan(s). The front intake fan on the 600t has pretty good filters as standard in all honesty, but I can understand your concern with the potential of more dust being dragged into the case if you installed intake fans on the side mesh.

Again, this is really going to come down to a case of your personal preference, or if absolutely required. From the information you've given so far, there isn't a huge need for you to install any additional fans on the side mesh. In fact, you could even swap the mesh side panel for the standard panel if you so desired.

Even with filters, occasionally, it's still advisable to have the side off the case now and then to remove any dust build up. If you don't want to go to the hassle and expense of installing additional intake filters, simply remove the side of your case once every 4 weeks or so, or whatever time period you deem necessary, and carefully remove any dust build up. Obviously in so doing, be careful to heed all anti-static procedures, and certainly do not use your vacuum cleaner, as that causes a lot of static. Use a non-static cloth, or better still, a can of "Compressed air" to blow the dust out, and hopefully all will be fine :).

Archived