Corsair Community

OS migration and 4k align - solution

nemi

In another thread I asked what migration software would allow me to transfer my Windows 7 64bit install from a 128Gb SSd to my new Force GT 120 gb SSD. Many utilities i tired refused to migrate to a smaller drive size.

Well I found that an old copy of Acronis PC back up and recovery 2009 edition worked BUT the transfer was NOT with 4k alignment so GT 120 GB performance was not good (see below).

I then found that you can get the latest version for free if you own a WD or Toshiba HD (and maybe even Seagate) from their support sites. using a download of the Acronis for WD today I re-cloned / migrate the partition and this time it was 4k aligned. The WD page specially states that this new version works with 4k align (and that old clone utilities may not).

There is a hand utility to tell you if you partition is 4k aligned- it explains very low benchmark scores. get it here:

http://dell-lab.posterous.com/is-your-os-partition-4k-aligned-a-simple-vbsc

Crystal Disk Mark 4k read / write (MB/s) (3 pass of 2000MB)

NOT aligned random data : 70 / 38

aligned random data : 97 / 142

[ aligned NON-random data : 110 / 323 ]

• 1 month later...
I then found that you can get the latest version for free if you own a WD or Toshiba HD (and maybe even Seagate) from their support sites.

I own disks from every manufacturers listed there. Could you tell us what download link you used?

Archived