Corsair Community

Corsair Nova Series 2 60 GB slow multitasking

bojzi

My Nova 2 is now doing the same thing after a re-format and re-install of Windows 7 (Installed 64-Bit on a GPT partition table this time). It was lightning fast before I re-installed Windows, now it's painfully slow. Looks like both of my corsair drives need to go back for RMA now :(

Any feedback from tech support on this yet? Ideally I'd prefer not to RMA if there's a fix.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No dice on a quick and dirty re-image. I didn't bother wiping, just copied, formatted the drive, and applied the image. I suspect the DBAN wipe, if it's just writing 0's is basically doing the work of TRIM proactively, if I understand the concept correctly... and that's where I'd suspect the performance improvement is coming from - though when it comes to SSDs I am a total neophyte.

I have to agree with the OP that its a controller issue, either that or we've got faulty drives.

Just to give some feedback, the store where I bough the Nova has offered me to choose another SSD and not replace this one.

I took another brand and everything works fine now.

I still think that Corsair has good products, it just seems there's something fishy with these Nova Series 2 drives. :)

Unfortunately, it seems like all the other manufacturers have problems with SSD's also - mainly Sandforce ones that BSOD all the time.

Actually, it's quite alarming how many problems exist seeing as there are already several generations of SSD's before these ones.

I have the same issue with mine, it is painfully slow when I'm trying to do multiple things. If I start to install a program and at the same time trying to open the "task manager", I have to wait about 8s before it comes up. If I run a benchmark it is OK.

I tested the system with an other SSD (other brand), and the difference was like night and day. Mine is going back and will not be replaced with the same model.

At first when I bought Nova II i did not know a lot about SSD's, so what I did is simply plug in and install Win 7. I was a bit dissapointed at first, because I did not see big increase in performance. It was not smooth at all, sudden freezes, ages to install, launch an aplication.

Few days later I found out that i havent enabled AHCI in BIOS, enabled it and I had much better/smoother experience. But after 3 month's of use performance degraded.

I decided to have another look what I can do to increase performance. Thanks to very helpful stickies on this forum I did Backup>Clean Wipe>Restore, that gave very big performance boost. Also I've set up RAMDisk and move firefox cache and Windows Temp folder to RAM Drive, also disabled cache file on drive C.

One thing that I think increased performance was to install AMD AHCI driver.

I should say Nova II is working OK now, maybe it's not so fast as I thought it'd be but not terribly bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I purchased this SSD from Frys on Friday just to check out if everything is THAT bad as it is discussed in this thread. Of course, it is NOT. Guys, why don't you stop blaming the Nova 2 SSD and start blaming version 7 of your super-puper-duper OS?

Here are my results with Nova 2 and Xubuntu 11.10 oneiric (basically it is not a pure Xubuntu, but a combination of Xubuntu and Ubuntu 11.10):

Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic

Motherboard MSI 880GM-E43

CPU: Phenom II X2 560

Memory: ******** DDR3-1600 4 Gb (2x2Gb)

Video: Intergated ATI HD4250

This is my second PC for Internet browsing. It does heavy multitasking downloading with several applications at 1.5-3.0 Mb/sec, transferring files, working as a media server, unzipping, encrypting / decrypting, and browsing Internet, sometimes all operations together. It also runs firewall and virus protection in the background, and skype.

I have NO problems with multitasking whatsoever. The read speeds: for the SSD in this system are min 212.9 Mb/s, average 253.8 MB/s, max 278.6 MB/s, access time (average) is 0.2 ms. SSD is ATA CSSD-V60GB2.

Please note that I am not a big fan of Corsair - replaced their 16 Gb flash drive 2 times already. Although their RMA service works flawlessly.

Previously I have noticed an interesting issue with Windows 7.

It is the first MS OS which records plenty of booting information in a separate created by it partition. It can be a major cause of your problems. Please read this thread http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/83800-boot-loader-separate-partition.html

I bet that none has any multitasking problem with XP or Vista (or Linux distros, of course), is it correct?

I have a possible solution for Windows 7 users, I guess. If you will move all your windows 7 partitions on the same SSD - just make your Windows 7 installations without connecting your secondary hard drives, you will change your mind, I believe.

SSD-read.thumb.jpg.9be8e742aefc526418b38aee9740dc2c.jpg

Hello,

Just to say I bought 2 NOVAs 2 for my company and installed it on 2 different computers with Windows XP. I had the same problem. I guessed maybe those computers were too old. I exchanged the 2 SSD with my personnal ones, and now company's computers are working fine, and my personnal one is slow. What I don't understand is there is no response from Corsair here... Why? Any solution not needing to waste the drives?

The installation quirk of Windows 7, where the OS drive must be the only one installed on the SATA interface, and on port 0 has been known for a while now. While gmcg provided some good info there, blaming Windows for the poor SSD performance on the (relatively) older mother boards (which almost everyone on this thread has) is not the issue.

The issue here, and particularly for users of XP, is that you are not running your SATA interface in AHCI mode with an AHCI driver installed. AHCI allows the SSD or HDD to "multitask", without it, in IDE mode, no drive will.

We've come full circle with Plug-n-Play. Only on the newest hardware (mother boards) are SSD plug and play, otherwise one needs to know what they are doing. XP does not have a native AHCI driver, as Win 7 does. You can download several AHCI drivers for free of course, but you must know...

The information is out there, at your fingertips as they say.

• 1 month later...

hi, i just buy the ssd and i have the same problem...but i find something to solve the problem...in my gigabyte motherboarb i search and install the intel matrix storage with ahci driver which manage the disk independently. the experience is much better and very quick. in benchs the diferernce does not indicate the improvement but you realize the ssd feeling!

pay attention on driver version beacause the newest doesn t mean that is better.

I just came here to say that I have the same problem! I've searched the web up and down but all i find problems and no solutions with this SSD. I wish Corsair could come with some decent feedback regarding this problem.

The lack of help just makes me never want to buy any of their products again.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issues as everyone else in this thread. I originally had a Nova 32gb, and have zero issues until it crapped out a couple months ago. when i switched to it, it was like night and day compared to my old spindle drive. i received a nova 2 60gb in its place, and the first was giving me very slow transfers when multi-tasking, and when i just RMA'd and got a new 60gb nova (2 days ago), the exact same issue, even after doing a clean re-install. my 80gb WD 5400rpm drive is faster!

can anyone confirm that their disk queue length skyrockets when they're experiencing the slowness?

I bought the Nova 2 60gb SSD and the booting is wonderful, but the multitasking as you said , is a bit slow , so i lurked the internet and found TweakPrefetch.

I have no idea how it works , but it made everything a lot faster.

Here's a link if you still have som problems, not saying that it will work for you , but it worked for me :)

http://www.windows7news.com/2010/05/17/tweakprefetch-lets-you-configure-prefetch-and-superfetch/

Arr yarr and that stuff // Sx2

PS: If you allrdy fixed your problem with another solution , please tell me how in case this somehow fails.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven´t tried the solution you´ve posted above, but what I do know is that prefetch is a kind of buffering that utilizes the DRAM memory for it.....

Can someone with more tech knowledge say if its the solution for our problem, or if it will improve the SSD, but decrease the Memory´s performance.

TY!

Sry for my english.

I bought the Nova 2 60gb SSD and the booting is wonderful, but the multitasking as you said , is a bit slow , so i lurked the internet and found TweakPrefetch.

I have no idea how it works , but it made everything a lot faster.

I imagine what you are saying is that you disabled Prefetch and Superfetch...

I bought a v60gb2 after windows 7 64bits and update, now with new hd dont have more multitask, just lost my money, I do all fix and nothing, cant click in google and same time open menu start of windows, all frezen

Quad Core 8200

MB Asus P5KPL-SE

4GB - VGA GF9500GT

I can confirm that I also have a very large disk queue length on my Corsair Nova II 60GB. It has a seek rate around 1 second and is significantly slower than my hard drive. I have moved everything except for the OS off my SSD because it is so slow. If I wasn't afraid of bumping into issues, I'd image the drive, buy a competitor's SSD, and re-image my OS.

Corsair's SSD is, by far, the slowest modern hard drive I have ever used. Terrible, terrible. It benchmarks fine in terms of read/write speeds, but it is HORRIFICALLY BAD at seeking files. The insanely high seek rate has made it significantly worse than a normal hard drive as a boot drive.

Hello,

I have Corsair Nova II 60GB. After first installation of Windows 7 home it was very, very slow as you describe. Boot time was 40 seconds, no multitasking at all, etc...

What I did, and it work on me is to get new installation of Windows 7 Home, while installing it, from windows setup I deleted the partition of the SSD, created new and installed windows again.

The result is - boot time 15 sec to the login screen, +5 more till desktop fully loaded and operational. It is not amazingly fast not, but it is faster than my HDD, and I can say that my SSD is usable now as a system disk.

I am not sure what happen to become better, I guess it is not the new installation of the windows, it's maybe deleting of the partition, I am not sure.

I just hope that it will help some of you.

Good Luck.

Corsair's SSD is, by far, the slowest modern hard drive I have ever used. Terrible, terrible. It benchmarks fine in terms of read/write speeds, but it is HORRIFICALLY BAD at seeking files. The insanely high seek rate has made it significantly worse than a normal hard drive as a boot drive.

I am pretty sure your drive is broken. Mine works fine compared to other SSDs I own (and I own some 4 others, older and very recent), and has been doing so for some 6 months now.

Assuming you did everything to optimize the SSD (disabled indexing, defragmentation etc.), I suggest you 0-erase it and, if it's still poor, return it to Corsair.

This being said, I AM STILL CURIOUS IF DISABLING PREFETCH AND SUPERFETCH SOLVED ANYBODY'S ISSUES, THE WAT IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED ABOVE. St3r30x2, would you please comment on this?

Archived