Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8D memory / Asus P6X58D-E motherboard (system not seeing full 6 gigs)

Spellbinder2050

I installed 6 gigs of Corsair Dominator ddr3-1600 on my Asus P6x58D-E. I left all the voltages in the bios on auto and my memory was running at 1066. The system read my memory fine. The problem was that when I boot up my computer in the morning (long shut downs), it only detected 4088 during the post test, and 4 gigs under start > control panel > system and the task manager.

I then tried to set my Dram and QPI/Dram voltages to 1.65 and 1.325, respectively with 1600 mhz speed and 8-8-8-24 timings. It will detect the full 6 gigs at this point, but, again, when I shut down for a long period of time and boot back up, it's back down to 4088 gigs. When I enter the bios and do any SLIGHT modification to my dram voltage and shut down and boot back up, it picks the full 6 gigs back up.

I've taken out all of the dimms and ran Memtest86+ (one full pass) on each dimm in each of the 3 slots (a1, b1, and c1) with no errors.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with my SLI setup sucking up a lot of voltage, or something else isn't getting the proper voltage, but wouldn't my voltages that are set on auto correct any of these problems?

Or, could it be possible that these graphic cards are allocating 1 gig of system memory each? I've never heard of that, but I've heard of gpu's causing errors that looked like it was caused by the system memory. Either way, I'm lost.

I've also read that it could be because my cpu heatsink is putting unequal pressure on my motherboard and the memory controller isn't making full contact with the pins in the cpu socket, but if each dimm is working in every slot, could this even be an issue?

Source: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82274

The only thing I can think of now is checking my socket pins and reseating the heatsink. If that doesn't work, I will take out one of my gpu's and see what happens. It could be the voltages/faulty memory/faulty board.

I'm running out of ideas. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived