Corsair Community

Pre-Build Question

BoomerD

I'm about to start building a new computer...something I haven't done in MANY years, so before I get underway, I have a question or two.

First, if I remember correctly, during the OS installation, it's best to use only a single stick of RAM, rather than populate all 4 slots. (I bought the "Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 XMS3" kit to use in an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro board per the memory configurator.) Is that still the recommended procedure?

It's not likely that I'll be overclocking anything...at least not at first. I'm not normally an overclocker...preferring instead to buy hardware that will perform at my desired levels in its stock settings.

Next, if everything is left at the stock settings, should the memory work without the need for adjustments in the BIOS?

Processor is the i5-760.

I know my current rig (P4P800-E Deluxe, P4) has a mix of two different brands of RAM, as well as 2 different sizes...without any memory related issues, BUT, I know that's rare, and to be avoided whenever possible...which is why I bought the kit.

Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated...and yes, I've been through the stickies, some of which are what prompted my questions.

Thanks.

I've been chatting with the folks at ASUS, and they tell me the 1600 RAM is out of spec for the motherboard, even though the specs say:

"Dual-Channel DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 support

The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 2200(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 MHz"

"4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel memory architecture

Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V&templete=2

So...did I get the right RAM kit or not?

As noted you definitely do not want to mix RAM. The i5-760 CPU has a default RAM speed of 1333 MHz. Faster RAM such as the CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 is tested to run at up to 1600 MHz. so it will work fine even at the OE 1333 MHz. RAM frequency.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496

You should install all the RAM when you build your PC. There is data in the SPD tab that will tell the BIOS how to set the RAM timings.

The mobo you are using and most other mobos will support running of the RAM at higher than OE frequencies, aka overclocked. This does not mean that your CPU will run the RAM overclocked but often it will.

So the components you have selected will all work fine together. Once you have the system up and running with the O/S drivers, etc. then you can run applications like OCCT, Intelburn, Prime 95, etc. to confirm stability. Once you're happy with the stability you can leave it for awhile or try overclocking. Understand per my signature that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to overclocking and you can lose data, crash your PC, etc.

As noted you definitely do not want to mix RAM. The i5-760 CPU has a default RAM speed of 1333 MHz. Faster RAM such as the CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 is tested to run at up to 1600 MHz. so it will work fine even at the OE 1333 MHz. RAM frequency.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496

You should install all the RAM when you build your PC. There is data in the SPD tab that will tell the BIOS how to set the RAM timings.

The mobo you are using and most other mobos will support running of the RAM at higher than OE frequencies, aka overclocked. This does not mean that your CPU will run the RAM overclocked but often it will.

So the components you have selected will all work fine together. Once you have the system up and running with the O/S drivers, etc. then you can run applications like OCCT, Intelburn, Prime 95, etc. to confirm stability. Once you're happy with the stability you can leave it for awhile or try overclocking. Understand per my signature that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to overclocking and you can lose data, crash your PC, etc.

Thanks. I'm not really an overclocker...as I mentioned in my first post. I MIGHT give it a try, but will take good notes of everything that gets changed so I can change back should things not work right.

I know there have been beau coup threads about "If I use one stick of RAM, my computer works, but with all four, it won't POST." I thought I had read in one of those the trick about only using one stick during OS install as well. That's what reminded me of this.

edit...you threw me with that intel link...it's in Spanish for some reason...

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/specifications.htm?proc=48496

Archived